Alamelu’s Healthy Snack Tips:
When you are feeling tired and hungry, go for the following snacks that will give you a boost:
- Baby Carrots with Honey.Drizzle baby carrots with honey. Carrots are rich in Vitamin A. Snack size (2.25 oz) baby carrots are only 25 calories per serving. Honey is great for your health.
- Mango Seasoned with Cumin Powder – Cut up, a preferably unriped, mango. Dice it and toss it with light salt and cumin powder. A great high fiber snack. Cumin is a digestive spice and is an antioxidant.
- Chickpea, Black Bean and Corn Salad – Drain and rinse chickpea, black bean and corn. Toss with equal portion (1/2 teaspoon each) black pepper and cumin powder. Beans are loaded with high protein and fiber. Serve with totillas chips.
- Chutney Sandwiches- Make a Coriander Chutney. Choose the bread you like. Spread chutney over the bread, close, slice and enjoy. (Please see recipe below for Coriander Chutney)
- Vegetables with Coriander Chutney dip- See recipe below.
- Bananas with Honey – Slice bananas and drizzle honey over the fruit and enjoy.
- Honey Toast – Drizzle a few tablespoons of honey on toast and have a glass of skim milk.
- Tuna Masala Sandwich – Tuna masala can be served over cocktail rye bread or with crackers as an appetizer. Can be made into a sandwich or tuna masala can be used as a filler in a pita pocket.(Please see recipe below for Tuna Masala)
Recipe for easy-to-prepare Coriander (Cilantro) Chutney:
(Note: All the
ingredients are available in regular grocery store.
1 bunch washed and chopped fresh coriander(about 2 cups)
1-2 green chilies
1/4 cup roasted peanuts or almonds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup low-fat cultured buttermilk
Place all the above ingredients in a blender with 1/4 cup of buttermilk. Grind to a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Recipe for Tuna Masala:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 can (12 oz) tuna in oil or water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup minced coriander
1. Heat oil in a skillet. When oil is warm add cumin seeds.Let cumin seeds turn to golden brown.
2. Add onions, tomatoes and garlic. Cook for a minute or two.
3. Add turmeric and curry powder, and tomato sauce. Mix and cook for another minute.
4. Drain oil or water from tuna. Add tuna and mix well with above ingredients. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add coriander and mix well.
Easy and delicious snacks. Kids would love these snacks. Eat well and be fit for life!