In an effort to expedite review of an error that could raise property taxes, Shorewood officials are grappling with a proposal to contract with financial advisory firm Ehlers and Associates.
The proposal, announced at a Village Board meeting Tuesday, is an attempt to undo a data-entry error that allegedly was made by the village's outside assessor.
Village officials assert Associated Appraisal Consultants, the outside assessor, reported one of Shorewood's tax-incremental financing districts had growth of $77 million, instead of $77,000. The mistake was revealed several weeks ago when the state Department of Revenue published its list of municipal equalized values.
Because of the error, Village Manager Chris Swartz said Shorewood could face the possibility of having to raise an additional $2 million in taxes for 2012, resulting in a 5.8 percent increase in the tax bill.
"If this happens, the village would request an adjustment in 2013, which would result in a similar tax decrease," Swartz said.
Speaking with the board Tuesday, Swartz said it was a worst-case scenario. He is hoping to work with State Sen. Alberta Darling and State Rep. Sandy Pasch. To that end, Swartz proposed developing a case with Ehlers' expertise to have the matter resolved before the village approves its tax levy in November.
The Village Board is scheduled to act on the Ehlers proposal later this month.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: July 30
- Mequon seeks to develop 13 acres in town center district
- Thiensville apartment developer agrees to consider smaller condominium development
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: July 23, 2015
- Mequon police chief responds to strip search allegations
- Mequon home tour displays innovative features
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: July 16, 2015
- Juggling multiple new projects, Rick Springfield returns to Mequon for Gathering on the Green
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: July 9, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: July 2, 2015