Mequon - Concordia University will build a five-story, 274-bed dormitory building in 2013.
The planning commission unanimously approved the site and building design Monday. Mayor and planning commission chairperson Curt Gielow recused himself since he works at the university.
The site plan places the new dormitory in the open space between Coburg and Augsburg halls on the east side of campus, closed in from all sides by the surround buildings except for an opening on the northeast corner.
"There's very little visibility from the public view," Mequon Assistant Director of Community Development Jac Zader said. "It's another big improvement to the Concordia campus, and we approve."
Concordia Senior Vice-President Duane Hilgendorf told commissioners that the new residence is intended to house students who currently live off-campus and accommodate a projected growth in students, as well as eventually replace some of the university's older housing.
"This is a long-term plan to rid ourselves of some inferior housing on campus," said Hilgendorf.
He said the university plans to eventually raze two two-story residence halls in use today.
"We think (the new dormitory) is a unique site," said Clifford Mayer of Mayer Helminiak Architects. "It should serve the students and the university well."
Hilgendorf said construction should take between 10 to 12 months and should conclude in late 2013.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: August 28, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- Heroin task force nails two suspects
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: August 21, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: August 14, 2014
- Man killed in Mequon car crash
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: August 7, 2014