The city of Mequon will have a primary election in February for the 4th District alderman seat.
Three challengers are running for the position. Alderman John Wirth, who represented the 4th District, declared his noncandidacy.
Newcomers Cherry Lange, Jeff Hansher and John Leszczynski will face off Feb. 19. The top two vote-getters will move on to the April election.
Mayor Curt Gielow is opposed by the current 1st District Alderman Dan Abendroth. Gielow has served as mayor since 2010. He served as the 6th District alderman in Mequon from 1997 to 2003 before serving as a state representative in the 23rd Assembly District.
Abendroth served as alderman of the 1st District for two and a half decades. Through his time on the council, he has served four terms as council president.
Abendroth is also running for his 1st District aldermanic seat. He is opposed by newcomer Robert Strzelvzyk.
Aldermen serve three-year terms and receive $4,800 annually. The mayor receives $9,600 and serves a three-year term.
Three candidates are running for the two seats open on the Mequon-Thiensville School Board. Incumbent Mary Cyrier is running against Mequon residents Alex Leykin and Kathryn Houpt for the School Board seats. Incumbent Robert Perry declared noncandidacy. The top two vote-getters will be elected.
School Board members serve three-year terms and are not paid.
Incumbents David Lange and John Treffert are running unopposed in April for the two trustee positions on the Thiensville Village Board.
Trustees earn $1,800 annually and serve three-year terms.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: March 5, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: March 5, 2015
- Mequon seeks coyote solutions
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- Mequon scout builds 20 benches for city parks
- Homestead High School athletic pavilion would be named after Sommer's Subaru
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 19, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: Feb. 19, 2015
- Mequon cancer survivor honored with Concordia scholarship
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin plans new Mequon clinic