Jane Lukic, a 60-year-old Mequon resident, was released from a hospital in England on Tuesday after rolling her car almost 500 feet down one of the steepest roads in England.
According to English newspaper The Westmorland Gazette, the accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. Friday in the steep terrain of a mountain pass in the Lake District National Park in Cumbria, England.
Lukic’s ex-husband, Chris Kegel, said Wednesday the belief is a tire blew on her rental car, causing her to leave the roadway before tumbling down a hillside and eventually coming to a stop about 500 feet downhill. Multiple fire departments and a volunteer mountain rescue team were involved in the operation, which required the rental car to be cut open before she was taken to a nearby hospital by helicopter.
Remarkably, Lukic suffered only a broken arm, bruising, and a slight concussion, Kegel said.
“It’s amazing. If she would have been in an old-technology car, she wouldn’t have been alive,” Kegel said. “It’s a miracle that she had her seat belt on and was able to sustain this crash with only minor injuries.
“She’s in good spirits and doing well, and happy to be alive.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon council votes down subdivision proposal at Oldenburg Farm
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016 (1)
- Apartment building, assisted living center approved in Mequon
- Meet and greet the Mequon-Thiensville School Board candidates Feb. 10
- Parents, Mequon Thiensville school district officials search for solutions for overcrowded schools
- Master Greg Chay talks discipline, respect at new Mequon Chay's Tae Kwon Do location
- Homestead High School threat suspect reportedly no longer in Mequon-Thiensville district
- A $15,000 reward is now being offered to help find missing Mequon woman
- Overnight parking permission may now be sought online in Thiensville
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, Jan. 28, 2016