Mequon — Voters in the 1st District have chosen Robert Strzelczyk to succeed Mayor Dan Abendroth as their representative on the Mequon Common Council.
According to unofficial results released Tuesday evening, Strzelczyk edged out opponent Rob Holtz by 31 votes, or roughly 4 percent of all votes cast.
Across the 1st District, 791 residents cast ballots in the special election, about two-thirds the number of votes cast in the contentious spring mayoral contest between then-Alderman Abendroth and incumbent Curt Gielow.
Unofficial results count 11 outstanding absentee ballots; the vote count is:
Robert Strzelczyk 411
Rob Holtz 380
"It was a tough election, to say the least, but a good one," Strzelczyk said Tuesday night. "I think the message, that I was running to serve the entire community, was the message that rang true with voters today."
Strzelczyk credited his supporters, "a core group of honest people out talking to friends and asking them to vote," for the victory.
"The game plan is to actively listen, represent district voters and work with the diverse District One that I represent," Strzelczyk said. "...I'm appreciative and honored to be serving Mequon in this capacity."
Holtz, too, thanked his supporters and was grateful for the chance to run for the 1st District seat.
"The election results are disappointing, but I did appreciate the opportunity to communicate my message to the community, and meeting and listening with everyone," Holtz said. "I tried to knock on every house, and I certainly appreciated listening to the views of residents."
Holtz said he will continue to serve the community through the various civic organizations he serves in, adding that he wouldn't change his campaign if he had to do it all again.
"I ran the best campaign I could," Holtz said. "If you looked at all the fliers and the newspaper responses, I think I thought those out carefully. I wouldn't second guess anything I did."
Strzelczyk's term runs through April 2016.
- Steffen students earn first place in math competition
- Lake Shore and Steffen students awarded top honors at music festival
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, May 19, 2016
- Memories in the Making Art Showcase to be held May 17
- The Cheel in Thiensville champions Nepal relief
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, May 12, 2016
- Cafe Hollander to open in Mequon May 20
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, May 5, 2016