Port Washington - A woman doing business as Luxury Vacations in Mequon was charged Thursday with the theft of $73,459 that a couple had paid toward a world cruise.
Lisbeth A. Bass, 59, of Fox Point, is charged with one count of theft-movable property greater than $10,000, according to a criminal complaint filed in Ozaukee County Circuit Court.
The couple had given two checks in 2008 to Bass, one for $29,817 and another for $73,459, for two cruises they were arranging with Luxury Vacations, the complaint says.
Bass told the couple that their trip was booked and tickets would be coming to them, the complaint says. But the couple learned the trip had been canceled because all of the money had not been paid to the cruise lines, according to the complaint.
Bass told police that she paid $29,817 to the cruise lines and used the rest for her personal needs, the complaint states.
She said she had financial problems and referred to using the couple's money as "robbing Peter to pay Paul," according to the complaint.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Concordia hosts theater, music presentations
- Service dog offers extra ears for hearing-impaired Mequon man
- Mequon tries to control Airbnb and other short-term rentals
- The Cheel in Thiensville resurrects historic turret on landmark building
- Greenfield man killed in single-vehicle crash in Mequon
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- Mequon adopts coyote response plan
- Falafel Guys food truck to open restaurant in Thiensville (5)
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015