Port Washington - A woman doing business as Luxury Vacations in Mequon was charged Thursday with the theft of $73,459 that a couple had paid toward a world cruise.
Lisbeth A. Bass, 59, of Fox Point, is charged with one count of theft-movable property greater than $10,000, according to a criminal complaint filed in Ozaukee County Circuit Court.
The couple had given two checks in 2008 to Bass, one for $29,817 and another for $73,459, for two cruises they were arranging with Luxury Vacations, the complaint says.
Bass told the couple that their trip was booked and tickets would be coming to them, the complaint says. But the couple learned the trip had been canceled because all of the money had not been paid to the cruise lines, according to the complaint.
Bass told police that she paid $29,817 to the cruise lines and used the rest for her personal needs, the complaint states.
She said she had financial problems and referred to using the couple's money as "robbing Peter to pay Paul," according to the complaint.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, Nov. 26, 2015
- Mequon woman reported missing
- Apartments, assisted living pitched in Mequon development
- Mequon-Thiensville's Demond Means says MPS role won't interfere with his day job
- Mequon allows indoor gun ranges in light industrial areas
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Nov. 19, 2015
- Colectivo opens cafe in Mequon Town Center
- Shaffer to develop 13 acres in Mequon Town Center district
- Homestead High School teacher faces termination due to allegations of misconduct (4)
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, Nov. 12, 2015