The Riversite, a fine-dining mainstay in Mequon for more than 20 years, has closed for good.
Owner Corey Schultz, who bought the restaurant at 11120 N. Cedarburg Road from Jim and Claire Marks in November 2008, confirmed today that the Riversite is closed, as of Sunday, but did not comment further.
An email from Corey and Maggie Schultz to customers Monday announcing the closing said: "The current economic climate would not allow us to continue to operate. We had our good nights, but we also had our slow nights, and over the past few months, the slow began to outnumber the good by too great a margin."
Under Schultz, the restaurant made efforts to attract more value-driven customers in challenging economic times. It added a small-plates menu on Tuesdays and expanded daily appetizers; offered three courses for $30 on Thursdays; and this year lowered prices on entrees to $16 to $35, down from $18 to $42, while still including soup or salad.
The restaurant, with Thomas Peschong as chef, repeatedly held a place on the Journal Sentinel's Top 30 list and was the only Ozaukee County restaurant on the current list. Peschong, whose cooking style drew on classical technique as well as global flavors, had been nominated for a James Beard Award.
For more dining news, go to dining critic Carol Deptolla's blog, MKE Diner.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Mequon man, 9/11 survivor, gained perspective from tragedy
- Thank You Farmers continues to deliver
- Lake Shore Middle School nominated for Blue Ribbon program
- Two pediatric dentists fill a cavity in the North Shore market
- North Shore school, municipal officials announce candidacy for April election
- Concordia hosts theater, music presentations
- 109-lot subdivision approved in Mequon
- Homestead student earns perfect score on ACT
- Cafe Hollander's rooftop sign raises eyebrows in Mequon
- Retired Mequon K9 is put to rest