The Mequon Planning Commission approved a conceptual plan for a single-family home and condominium development for Wauwatosa Road at its Sept. 22 meeting.
Insight Development would build 12 single-family homes and 39 condominiums on the 51-acre site at 10729-10845 N. Wauwatosa Road. Two existing single-family homes would remain as part of the Orchard Glen development.
The concept calls for single-family homes closer to Wauwatosa Road with the condos located on the western edge of the property.
Assistant Director of Community Development Jac Zader said the site could be rezoned as a planned-unit development, with a transfer of development rights from the adjoining Lemke farm. Under a TDR agreement, Insight Development would pay for the development rights at the farm, where city staff estimates 39 housing units could be built if the land were developed.
The development rights would be credited to Insight, which would then transfer them for use at Orchard Glen, allowing it to be developed at the density suggested in the concept plan, which is about one unit per acre. The current zoning allows a maximum density of one unit per five acres.
The Lemke farm would then remain as undeveloped farmland. The Open Space Committee is reviewing the TDR plan as it applies to the farm.
The city would request Insight Development add some undulation to a main street in the development, rather than a straight line.
Insight Development will return at a later date with a preliminary plat for the subdivision.
Mary Buckley can be reached at (262) 446-6615.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- K-9 Officer Iron joins Mequon PD
- Homestead raising funds for facilities
- Jonathan Clark House brings history to life
- Mequon-Thiensville decides against fundraising position
- Mequon-Thiensville receives offer on farmland
- Mequon, Thiensville plan for future together
- Teen filmmaker raising funds for India
- Mequon named top K-12 district in state
- Campus Colors sports new Mequon storefront
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore