Homestead tightens school access after alleged assaults
New rules to go into effect Tuesday
In the wake of charges that two members of the Homestead High School football team sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl inside the school, officials announced stricter rules regarding after-hours activity in the building.
In a letter to parents, school Principal Brett Bowers said that beginning Tuesday, the doors of the academic wing of the school will be closed and locked at 3:30 p.m., and students will have to leave unless they are involved in a meeting or other gathering.
Supervisors then will sweep the hallways and require students to leave. Unauthorized students found in the building after 3:30 p.m. will be issued a municipal citation for "unauthorized presence on school property."
In his letter, Bowers said the changes are designed to make the school "the safest place it can be both during and after school hours."
Brent Anderson and Deangelo Dantzler, both 18, were charged Friday with sexual assault of a child under 16. Both are from Mequon.
The incident took place on the campus Nov. 3.
In the criminal complaint, the 14-year-old girl admitted to a school liaison officer that she had sexual activity with both Anderson and Dantzler in an open practice room at the school.
She said Anderson offered her a drink out of a can and that she recognized it was an alcoholic beverage.
She also said she had sexual activity with a third student, a 15-year-old boy, according to the complaint.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead ACT scores top North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Concordia hosts theater, music presentations
- Newsweek: Whitefish Bay best Wisconsin school; 30th in nation
- Service dog offers extra ears for hearing-impaired Mequon man
- Mequon tries to control Airbnb and other short-term rentals
- The Cheel in Thiensville resurrects historic turret on landmark building
- Greenfield man killed in single-vehicle crash in Mequon
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015