A 21-year-old Mequon man pleaded guilty Friday to killing his parents in the family's home after they refused him $5 for gas, and faces a likely sentence of life in prison.
Dennis Markov was charged with two counts of first-degree intentional homicide in the April 17 deaths of Victor Markov, 45, and mother Larissa Markov, 39.
Police found the couple shot to death in the garage of their home in the Ville du Parc subdivision after Larissa Markov's co-workers reported that she hadn't shown up for job at Alexian Village retirement community.
Dennis Markov was also there and told police he had shot his parents, who had emigrated from Ukraine when their son was about 6.
The case had been set for trial Jan. 27, but a judge last month denied Markov's attorney's motions to suppress statements Markov made to police and to have the trial moved to another county. Plans for a change of plea were filed Tuesday.
According to Mequon police records, Markov had a history of drug use and disorderly conduct in the four years before the murders.
Ozaukee County Circuit Judge Tom Wolfgram set a Markov's sentencing for March 2. Prosecutors will recommend Markov not be eligible for supervised release for 60 years.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 26, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, Nov. 26, 2015
- Mequon woman reported missing
- Apartments, assisted living pitched in Mequon development
- Mequon-Thiensville's Demond Means says MPS role won't interfere with his day job
- Rumage Around: Getting to know you, my readers
- Mequon allows indoor gun ranges in light industrial areas
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 19, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Nov. 19, 2015
- Colectivo opens cafe in Mequon Town Center