A new Outpost Natural Foods supermarket planned for Mequon is scheduled to open by summer 2014, after the Common Council this week approved city financing assistance for the project.
Demolition work to prepare the development site, at the northeast corner of Mequon Road (Highway 167) and Wauwatosa Road (Highway 181), is to begin in June, said Kim Tollefson, city community development director.
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a proposal to provide $229,241 in assistance for the $4.1 million development.
That cash will be provided through the city's tax incremental financing district along Mequon Road between Wauwatosa Road and the Milwaukee River. A portion of Outpost's annual property tax bill will be rebated to the cooperative over four years.
The 16,000-square-foot store, which is the first Outpost to be developed outside Milwaukee County, will primarily serve customers from Mequon and Thiensville. It also is expected to draw shoppers from such nearby communities as Germantown, Menomonee Falls, Cedarburg and Grafton.
Outpost, which has seen steady sales growth over the past four years, announced plans for the store in November.
The cooperative operates three stores: 100 E. Capitol Drive, Milwaukee; 7000 W. State St., Wauwatosa; and 2826 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., in Milwaukee's Bay View neighborhood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bayside woman running Chicago Marathon to raise awareness of genetic disorder
- North Shore Police Reports: Oct. 8, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Oct. 8, 2015
- Faith Fellowship of North Shore sets meeting in River Hills
- Lake Shore Middle School earns blue ribbon award
- North Shore Police Reports: Oct. 1, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Oct. 1, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Sept. 24, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Sept. 24, 2015
- Mequon Town Center coming to life