Stevens Point - When it came time to finding a new home for the WIAA state summer baseball tournament, no venue compared to Kapco Field.
The WIAA Board of Control unanimously approved the stadium, which is on the campus of Concordia University in Mequon, as the tournament's site during its monthly meeting Tuesday at the WIAA's offices.
The move not only brings the tournament to the part of the state most summer teams call home - it had been played at Bukolt Park in Stevens Point since 1989 and was played in West Bend from 1965-'88 - but the stadium's FieldTurf surface increases the chance the WIAA can play the tournament in one day, a change approved by the board in the fall.
The state tournament is scheduled for July 20.
"We really like this one because it's turf and if it rains we can still play," WIAA deputy director Wade Labecki said.
He said the stadium will seat about 1,200 after construction on the bleachers is completed later this spring.
The WIAA had other options in the area, but none met its requirements of having a fenced-in field and a turf surface.
The venue won't be the only change for the summer tournament. The field has been reduced to four teams rather than eight.
The board also unanimously approved that the girls state golf tournament this fall be played at Cherokee Country Club in Madison if renovations to University Ridge in Verona, site of the tournament since 1994, are not completed.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- K-9 Officer Iron joins Mequon PD
- Homestead raising funds for facilities
- Jonathan Clark House brings history to life
- Mequon-Thiensville decides against fundraising position
- Mequon-Thiensville receives offer on farmland
- Mequon, Thiensville plan for future together
- Teen filmmaker raising funds for India
- Mequon named top K-12 district in state
- Campus Colors sports new Mequon storefront
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore