The parking crunch at Concordia University is expected to ease with the construction of a three-story 700-stall parking garage on the northwest corner of the campus. The Mequon Plan Commission approved the building tonight against the recommendation of staff. The building will be the first parking structure in the city.
City staff, while supporting the need for additional parking, objected to the removal of 40 specimen trees in the proposed location for the garage. Staff suggested building it elsewhere on the main campus.
The university did not support the other locations because it has plans for academic or athletic facilities in those areas.
The parking garage will be located between Lake Shore Drive and the football stadium and will include a new press box for the stadium.
University President Patrick Ferry told the commission that the university had consulted with neighbors who earlier had opposed plans for a parking garage south of Highland Road. Using a consultant, he said the university worked hard to find a solution to its parking problems that met its needs and would be supported by neighbors.
No one opposed the plan at the commission meeting, in stark contrast to a public hearing last July where neighbors spoke against a proposed master plan detailing the expansion of the university south of Highland Road beginning with a parking garage.
The temporary parking lot on Highland Road will be restored to a natural state once the new building is completed.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: Jan. 22, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 22, 2015
- Concordia hosts theater, music presentations
- 109-lot subdivision approved in Mequon
- Homestead student earns perfect score on ACT
- Cafe Hollander's rooftop sign raises eyebrows in Mequon
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 15, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: Jan. 15, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Jan. 8, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: Jan. 8, 2015