Gateway Plastics will move ahead with the next step in a proposal to bring a railroad spur to the north end of the plant at 5650 W. County Line Road.
Company chairman Carl Vogel said the railroad has indicated its support of the plan but he wanted to consult with the city's Plan Commission before proceeding.
The spur would branch off from the existing Canadian Pacific Railroad lines just south of a creek crossing and across the Interurban trail from the Elmdale Court area of the city, cross three parcels of property and Riebs Lane before reaching its destination, a proposed 420-square-foot pump house. Materials from the train cars would be pumped into the building.
Vogel said the rail siding will eliminate resin delivery now done by truck. Currently resin is delivered at the rate of 20 loads per week or 1,000 trucks annually. The rail deliveries will be once or twice a week, he said.
The rail spur would cross the northern end of the Kleen Test property. In return for allowing the spur to cross Kleen Test, Vogel said he has agreed to build Kleen Test a parking lot for its semitrailers that are now parking on Riebs Lane for lack of other space.
The Plan Commission supported Vogel's proposal. Once railroad approval and land is acquired, he would return to the commission with more detailed plans.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Large medical office building proposed in Mequon
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Sept. 3, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Concordia hosts theater, music presentations
- Service dog offers extra ears for hearing-impaired Mequon man
- Mequon tries to control Airbnb and other short-term rentals
- The Cheel in Thiensville resurrects historic turret on landmark building
- Greenfield man killed in single-vehicle crash in Mequon
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- Mequon adopts coyote response plan