The city is looking for volunteers in three areas of Ville Du Parc to participate in a pilot infiltration and inflow program.
Chuck Boehm of AECOM, a consultant working for the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, and Mark Lloyd, the deputy director of public works, discussed the pilot program tonight at a Mequon Common Council meeting.
Lloyd said about $138,000 of a $400,000 set aside by MMSD for the city for I & I studies would pay for the pilot program.
Private sanitary sewer laterals, which connect homes and businesses to the sanitary mains found in the street, would be televised and inspected for deficiencies. Older pipes can corrode or be infiltrated by tree roots, or joints can crack allowing clear water to enter the sanitary laterals.
I & I is a major cause of basement back ups, particularly during periods of heavy rain and run off. MMSD is funding I & I programs throughout the sewer system.
There will be no cost to residents for the program. If problems are found, the city would not force repairs according to the discussion this evening. The council would have the ability to spend some of the remaining $400,000 on a repairs but has not discussed how such a program would work.
Two aldermen, John Wirth and Ken Zganjar, said they would be reluctant to see the entire pot of money spent in only one area of the city.
Lloyd said the results of the study would help the city determine the best way to proceed.
"We can take the information and apply it citywide," Boehm said.
The city plans to hold an informational meeting in two weeks for residents in the pilot program area.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: May 21, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- Homestead, Shorewood ranked among top 10 Wisconsin high schools
- Big Muddly is Cedar Crest Ice Cream's winner
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: May 14, 2015
- Mequon considers bait and kill approach to coyote problem (4)
- Mequon entrepreneur Anna Zuckerman expands children's clothing empire
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: May 7, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 7, 2015