Over the objections of neighbors, the Mequon Plan Commission this week approved plans for a 96-unit senior apartment complex called Riverwalk Highlands for 10908 N. Cedarburg Road. The complex will have one- and two-bedroom apartments, a community center, exercise room and library.
About five years ago a different developer proposed condominium development, River Trace, for the site which, at that time, was zoned for business.
Several residents addressed a zoning change made at that time to allow for condominiums rather than office space. The zoning change was made conditioned on approval of the condominium plans. They were approved although not built.
According to Assistant Community Development Director Jac Zader, the zoning change stands although the condominiums were not built.
A new developer, United Financial Group, asked for apartments which are allowed under the institutional zoning approved five years ago.
The Plan Commission, by a 6-2 vote Monday night, is allowing the apartment proposal to proceed. Commission Member David Romoser said that while he understands the neighbors objections, the proposal is in line with suggestions made recently by a task force that looked at ways to bring residents and businesses to the Mequon-Thiensville area.
One of the recommendations was the creation of housing in the city for seniors. Romoser was a co-chairman of the task force.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: March 26, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: March 26, 2015
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: March 19, 2015
- Candidates for Mequon City Council focus on commercial, residential development
- North Shore Police Reports: March 19, 2015
- Sarah Chudnow Community offers a variety of programming for April
- Mindful meditation comes to Mequon
- Homestead High School reverses decision to restructure final exams
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Report: March 12, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: March 12, 2015