Thiensville's proposed beer garden folds for a second straight year
No suds this year as only proposal withdrawn
Thiensville — The reality of a beer garden on the bank of the Milwaukee River in Village Park sank as the sole proposal to run the venue was withdrawn.
Village President Van Mobley officially announced that Laura Adair withdrew her Request for Proposal for a beer garden at Village Park in Thiensville as the first agenda item at Monday night's Committee of the Whole meeting.
"I wish it would have worked," Adair said, earlier in a phone interview. "We (the community) have to focus on the kids (teenagers) and keep them occupied. I didn't want to call it a beer garden."
Adair filled out a 16-page proposal, listed Community Concessions to serve at the venue, submitted suggested foods and beverages with pricing and included three letters of recommendation.
"Suddenly she withdrew it, 24 hours after it became public," Trustee David Lange said.
Monday's Meeting of the Whole was prepared to discuss her proposal at length.
After further review of her proposal to the village, Adair said she would have to be covered with "liability insurance that reached nearly $1 million" because the park is located on the river. "It wouldn't be affordable for only 13 weeks, weather permitting," she added.
Village President Van Mobley called Adair a day after her withdrawal.
"I asked her if there was any information she wanted to share with me about why she withdrew it," Mobley said.
According to Mobley, she said, "No."
Thiensville has tried twice in the past two years to establish a beer garden at Village Park, however, for the summer of 2014 there will be "no beer garden," Mobley said.
- Steffen students earn first place in math competition
- Lake Shore and Steffen students awarded top honors at music festival
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, May 19, 2016
- Memories in the Making Art Showcase to be held May 17
- The Cheel in Thiensville champions Nepal relief
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, May 12, 2016
- Cafe Hollander to open in Mequon May 20
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, May 5, 2016