Mequon - Chiselled Grape Winery is hoping to call Mequon home sweet home.
Due to high commercial rates at its current Grafton location, the winery is looking to relocate, with plans to move to 14136 N. Port Washington Road. That prospect took one step forward Tuesday when the Mequon Common Council unanimously approved changes to the zoning code following a public hearing.
The change to the zoning code allows for wineries on five-plus acre parcels in R-1, rural residential, B-6, rural industrial and B-7, rural business zoning districts.
But, at Tuesday's hearing, neighboring property owners voiced some concerns over having a winery in that particular location.
Resident Ken Jensen, who owns property next door to the proposed site, was concerned about an increase in traffic stopping to turn into the winery from the two-lane road.
"With commercial traffic, how many times there will be serious accidents on that street unless they provide turnouts for commercial property use?" Jensen queried.
Common Council President John Wirth said such issues will be discussed when the business applies for a conditional-use permit, a discussion which will start at the Planning Commission level before the council makes a final decision.
There were also concerns about an increase in demand to the water supply. Wirth said R-1 zoning allows for an irrigation system to be implemented on the property. He did not see any concern related to water supply to the vineyard.
Harald Tomesch, one of the founders of Chiselled Grape, said they plan to talk extensively with neighbors and help alleviate concerns to ensure they are a "good business in the neighborhood."
Chiselled Grape Winery would grow, harvest, crush or press and ferment grapes into wine at the Mequon location. The winery would also process, bottle, label, blend and store the wine, as well as have tasting rooms, wine sales, catered events or similar uses as approved by the Planning Commission.
- Republican primary for Ozaukee County Treasurer sees two political newcomers facing off
- 2016-17 Mequon-Thiensville School District budget passes unanimously
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- Pitbull attack in Mequon leaves rare breed dog near death (3)
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 14, 2016
- Mequon girl going to Japan with Trinity Irish Dancers to give free show in earthquake-affected area
- Mequon residents will be Gathering at the Green July 15 and 16
- Cheel-a-bration bringing cheer to Thiensville July 16
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 7, 2016