Whitefish Bay is the latest community in Wisconsin looking to become a Bird City USA community, with backing by the Whitefish Bay Garden Club and Whitefish Bay Civic Foundation.
Bird City USA is Bayside-based organization that was created a year ago through participation with the Milwaukee Audubon Society. It is designed to promote bird conservation by working with member municipalities to examine best practices for bird habitats.
Designees hold a ceremonial event that includes a plaque presentation and educational events. To qualify, a municipality needs to pay $100 annually and go through a comprehensive application process.
The Village Board approved moving forward with the application process Monday with the caveat the membership fee be split in thirds between the Garden Club, Civic Foundation and the village's operating budget.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead teacher agrees to resign
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, Nov. 26, 2015
- Mequon woman reported missing
- Apartments, assisted living pitched in Mequon development
- Mequon-Thiensville's Demond Means says MPS role won't interfere with his day job
- Mequon allows indoor gun ranges in light industrial areas
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports: Nov. 19, 2015
- Colectivo opens cafe in Mequon Town Center
- Shaffer to develop 13 acres in Mequon Town Center district
- Homestead High School teacher faces termination due to allegations of misconduct (4)