Mequon - After the frustrating loss to Whitefish Bay on May 10, the Homestead girls soccer team decided to drown its sorrows and get happily drenched like everyone else did last weekend at the Gusho Memorial Tournament in Brookfield.
Only, the Highlanders came out high and dry at the end and with the top trophy, as they defeated Kettle Moraine, 1-0, on Friday and then downed Madison Memorial, 2-1, in a double overtime shootout.
"We still have work to do," Highlanders coach Rich Dorn said, "but it was a very, very good showing."
With the two wins, the Highlanders improved to 11-1-2 overall as they prepare for an important series of games, including a 10 a.m. Saturday tilt against Pius XI at Wisconsin Lutheran College and then a 7 p.m. Tuesday North Shore contest at home against North Shore rival Germantown.
The Warhawks started the week 4-0 in league play.
"We're going to focus on putting chances away," Dorn said, "and then we're going to try and tighten up the gaps a bit (defensively). We're making some strides in that area."
The Highlanders began the week ranked second in the state.
Against Memorial on a rainy and windy Saturday, the Highlanders got an early goal from Caitlin West. The Spartans tied the game up in the 47th minute but after that, goalie Emily Jakubiak played stout making several top-notch saves and helping force the overtimes and the eventual shootout.
She even got the decisive kick in the shootout.
"I don't think anyone flinched when we got right down to it," said Dorn, "even in weather that would have been somewhat reasonable for a bad late fall day."
Dorn also cited the work of defender Madeline Bireley and midfielder Molly Hobbs in helping maintain possession.
"They just do so much for us," Dorn said.
In the win over Kettle Moraine the night before, Shannon Greeley got the only Homestead goal in the 35th minute with an assist from Olivia Tehan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 2
- Homestead girls CC team's first three leads it to state
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Homestead duo claim state tennis doubles title
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Homestead's consistent Hitt earns 2nd again in WIAA golf
- Football: Highlanders hold off Bay to take piece of North Shore title for 14th straight season
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Homestead duo earns top girls state doubles tennis seed