Mequon - After the frustrating loss to Whitefish Bay on May 10, the Homestead girls soccer team decided to drown its sorrows and get happily drenched like everyone else did last weekend at the Gusho Memorial Tournament in Brookfield.
Only, the Highlanders came out high and dry at the end and with the top trophy, as they defeated Kettle Moraine, 1-0, on Friday and then downed Madison Memorial, 2-1, in a double overtime shootout.
"We still have work to do," Highlanders coach Rich Dorn said, "but it was a very, very good showing."
With the two wins, the Highlanders improved to 11-1-2 overall as they prepare for an important series of games, including a 10 a.m. Saturday tilt against Pius XI at Wisconsin Lutheran College and then a 7 p.m. Tuesday North Shore contest at home against North Shore rival Germantown.
The Warhawks started the week 4-0 in league play.
"We're going to focus on putting chances away," Dorn said, "and then we're going to try and tighten up the gaps a bit (defensively). We're making some strides in that area."
The Highlanders began the week ranked second in the state.
Against Memorial on a rainy and windy Saturday, the Highlanders got an early goal from Caitlin West. The Spartans tied the game up in the 47th minute but after that, goalie Emily Jakubiak played stout making several top-notch saves and helping force the overtimes and the eventual shootout.
She even got the decisive kick in the shootout.
"I don't think anyone flinched when we got right down to it," said Dorn, "even in weather that would have been somewhat reasonable for a bad late fall day."
Dorn also cited the work of defender Madeline Bireley and midfielder Molly Hobbs in helping maintain possession.
"They just do so much for us," Dorn said.
In the win over Kettle Moraine the night before, Shannon Greeley got the only Homestead goal in the 35th minute with an assist from Olivia Tehan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Walk gives Bay baseball team 5-4 walk-off win over Homestead (1)
- Homestead baseball team now in NSC race
- Homestead girls soccer team's bid for state ends in OT thriller
- Sever's two goals give Greendale girls soccer team sectional victory over New Berlin West
- Menomonee Falls girls soccer team earns first state berth with OT win
- Morway leads Homestead to North Shore Conference boys golf title
- Looking ahead, Homestead girls soccer team claims NSC title
- Germantown softball team edges Homestead, 1-0, for NSC crown
- Young Homestead boys tennis team still figuring things out
- Homestead girls soccer team holds on, 2-1, over Nicolet