Football teams have been practicing for 10 days and now the North Shore area squads will get a chance to hit somebody other than their teammates on Saturday when various scrimmages are held around the area.
Brown Deer, coming off a Woodland Conference divisional title and an 8-2 mark, travels to Random Lake at 9 a.m. for match-ups with Kewaskum, Winnebago Lutheran, Greendale Martin Luther and North Fond du Lac.
Homestead, which is looking for its 11th straight North Shore Conference championship, is coming off a 10-1 campaign and practices at 10 a.m. at Janesville Parker against Parker, Kettle Moraine and Sheboygan South. The Highlanders are looking for their 11th straight double-digit win season.
Nicolet, under new coach Brad Kozaczuk, travels to St. Francis to get in a workout against Waukesha North and Milwaukee Pulaski. The Knights were 3-6 last season.
Messmer/Shorewood also has a new coach in area fixture Drake Zortman. No information is available on their schedule for Saturday. The Greyhounds are playing in the Midwest Classic North Division this fall. They were 1-8 last fall.
Whitefish Bay was 5-5 last season and earned another WIAA playoff slot. The Blue Dukes host Pius XI, South Milwaukee and Muskego at 10 a.m. Saturday.
The regular season opens Aug. 19. Look for season previews in the Aug. 18 issue of NOW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Physical defensive effort not enough for Homestead boys basketball team
- Boys basketball : Germantown boys outlast Homestead, 50-42, in sectional semifinal
- Boys basketball: Homestead boys hold off pesky Hamilton
- Zupke aiming at state medal for Homestead wrestlers
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC title
- Germantown girls basketball team wins 2nd outright North Shore crown
- Homestead swimmers advance four entries to state
- Brown Deer boys get defensive in beating Homestead, 65-55.
- Cedarburg girls beat Homestead in battle for second in NSC, 53-42
- Whitefish Bay wrestlers beat Homestead on parents/senior night