Football teams have been practicing for 10 days and now the North Shore area squads will get a chance to hit somebody other than their teammates on Saturday when various scrimmages are held around the area.
Brown Deer, coming off a Woodland Conference divisional title and an 8-2 mark, travels to Random Lake at 9 a.m. for match-ups with Kewaskum, Winnebago Lutheran, Greendale Martin Luther and North Fond du Lac.
Homestead, which is looking for its 11th straight North Shore Conference championship, is coming off a 10-1 campaign and practices at 10 a.m. at Janesville Parker against Parker, Kettle Moraine and Sheboygan South. The Highlanders are looking for their 11th straight double-digit win season.
Nicolet, under new coach Brad Kozaczuk, travels to St. Francis to get in a workout against Waukesha North and Milwaukee Pulaski. The Knights were 3-6 last season.
Messmer/Shorewood also has a new coach in area fixture Drake Zortman. No information is available on their schedule for Saturday. The Greyhounds are playing in the Midwest Classic North Division this fall. They were 1-8 last fall.
Whitefish Bay was 5-5 last season and earned another WIAA playoff slot. The Blue Dukes host Pius XI, South Milwaukee and Muskego at 10 a.m. Saturday.
The regular season opens Aug. 19. Look for season previews in the Aug. 18 issue of NOW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cedarburg girls basketball team beats Homestead, ties for NSC lead
- Revamped Chekouras tourney a tribute to late Homestead basketball coach
- Homestead hockey team races to NSC title
- Homestead girls basketball team beats Gerrmantown, tightens NSC
- Homestead basketball teams influence NSC race with wins
- Millard, Homestead love wrestling
- Homestead gymnastics team wins division at own invite
- Whitefish Bay boys basketball team asserts it will, beats Homestead
- Homestead wins North Shore hockey tourney
- Former Homestead High School player Al Moroder named Nicolet football coach