Football teams have been practicing for 10 days and now the North Shore area squads will get a chance to hit somebody other than their teammates on Saturday when various scrimmages are held around the area.
Brown Deer, coming off a Woodland Conference divisional title and an 8-2 mark, travels to Random Lake at 9 a.m. for match-ups with Kewaskum, Winnebago Lutheran, Greendale Martin Luther and North Fond du Lac.
Homestead, which is looking for its 11th straight North Shore Conference championship, is coming off a 10-1 campaign and practices at 10 a.m. at Janesville Parker against Parker, Kettle Moraine and Sheboygan South. The Highlanders are looking for their 11th straight double-digit win season.
Nicolet, under new coach Brad Kozaczuk, travels to St. Francis to get in a workout against Waukesha North and Milwaukee Pulaski. The Knights were 3-6 last season.
Messmer/Shorewood also has a new coach in area fixture Drake Zortman. No information is available on their schedule for Saturday. The Greyhounds are playing in the Midwest Classic North Division this fall. They were 1-8 last fall.
Whitefish Bay was 5-5 last season and earned another WIAA playoff slot. The Blue Dukes host Pius XI, South Milwaukee and Muskego at 10 a.m. Saturday.
The regular season opens Aug. 19. Look for season previews in the Aug. 18 issue of NOW.
- Oak Creek baseball team passes test with win over Homestead, 7-3
- Talented, assertive Homestead soccer team won its own way
- Girls soccer: "We endured': Homestead's state soccer title well-earned
- CHAMPIONS! Mentally tough Homestead wins fourth state soccer title
- Homestead girls soccer team pulls upset on West, 2-1, heads to finals
- Deep, motivated Homestead girls soccer team heads to state
- NSC-leading Homestead baseball team pitching heavy
- Lutz's goal lifts Homestead girls soccer team over Cedarburg, 1-0
- Distance crew earns three track medals for Homestead boys
- Distance runners to lead Homestead track contingent