Mequon - Ranked second in the state in pre-season coaches' poll, the Homestead girls golf team is living up to the hype so far.
The Highlanders torched Mee-Kwon Golf Course on Monday for a four-man, 18-hole score of 311 to take the first-round lead in the BCH Classic. The second day was conducted on Tuesday (see MequonNOW.com for details).
That effort was just three days after Homestead had turned in a sound 327 score and took third of 19 in the powerhouse Yahara Hills Invitational in Madison.
At Mee-Kwon on Monday, everyone was hot, as despite their marvelous score, the Highlanders were only six shots ahead of state power Green Bay Notre Dame (317) and 10 ahead of state Division 2 power Madison Edgewood (321) in the 22-school field.
Homestead was led by Lauren Olson and Rachel Morris, each of whom shot 76s, good for a tie for fifth individually, while Anika Hitt came in with a 79, Emily Sweet 80 and Lucy Smith 81. A three-way tie at 73 led the individual field as 13 players broke 80 that first day.
At Yahara Hills, Edgewood won with 310 while DSHA was second with 323.
Hitt led the way for Homestead with a 78 while Olson came in with 79, Morris 83 and Sweet and Rebecca Hart had 87 apiece.
Last year, Homestead was 10th in the WIAA state meet team standings with Morris finishing 31st and Olson 59th individually.
In the pre-season coaches' poll, Middleton was first, Homestead second, Sheboygan third, Edgewood fourth and Notre Dame fifth.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bizarre play leads to Homestead "9" sectional loss to Falls
- Niebrugge makes Homestead High proud again with finish at British Open
- Homestead baseball team closes season on a six-game roll
- Homestead baseball team finishes second in NSC race
- Homestead football program to get turf field
- Walk gives Bay baseball team 5-4 walk-off win over Homestead (1)
- Homestead baseball team now in NSC race
- Homestead girls soccer team's bid for state ends in OT thriller
- Sever's two goals give Greendale girls soccer team sectional victory over New Berlin West
- Menomonee Falls girls soccer team earns first state berth with OT win