Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
- Homestead girls soccer team hangs on to beat Germantown, 3-2
- Germantown girls softball team wins critical test against Homestead, 8-4
- Homestead's Routhier earns $20,000 scholarship
- Mangan ready for challenge at Arrowhead
- Like father like daughter, Keels love their softball
- Homestead looking for new AD as Mangan moves on
- Marotta keeps the family business 'on board'
- Fish's passing leaves a large hole in Mequon community
- Girls basketball: Homestead snaps playoff drought with convincing win
- Denmark, Hunt head to state mats for Homestead