Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bizarre play leads to Homestead "9" sectional loss to Falls
- Niebrugge makes Homestead High proud again with finish at British Open
- Homestead baseball team closes season on a six-game roll
- Homestead baseball team finishes second in NSC race
- Homestead football program to get turf field
- Walk gives Bay baseball team 5-4 walk-off win over Homestead (1)
- Homestead baseball team now in NSC race
- Homestead girls soccer team's bid for state ends in OT thriller
- Sever's two goals give Greendale girls soccer team sectional victory over New Berlin West
- Menomonee Falls girls soccer team earns first state berth with OT win