Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Homestead duo claim state tennis doubles title
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Homestead's consistent Hitt earns 2nd again in WIAA golf
- Football: Highlanders hold off Bay to take piece of North Shore title for 14th straight season
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Homestead duo earns top girls state doubles tennis seed
- Homestead football team upsets Germantown, NSC title hopes strong
- Homestead football team ties for North Shore lead, beats GT, 35-30