Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Behind Key, Homestead boys basketball team becomes competitive again
- Homestead boys cruise to NSC track indoor title
- Frosh Marotta takes NSC hoops world by storm
- Physical defensive effort not enough for Homestead boys basketball team
- Boys basketball : Germantown boys outlast Homestead, 50-42, in sectional semifinal
- Boys basketball: Homestead boys hold off pesky Hamilton
- Zupke aiming at state medal for Homestead wrestlers
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC title
- Germantown girls basketball team wins 2nd outright North Shore crown
- Homestead swimmers advance four entries to state