Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead boys golf coach Steve O'Brien reflects on his time at the Masters
- Successful hoops programs dominate this writer's winters
- Whitefish Bay girls win 10 events to repeat as North Shore track champs
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Shorewood boys track scores first league title in 14 years
- Whitefish Bay and Homestead tie for North Shore Conference boys track and field indoor title
- Bay girls win 10 events to repeat as North Shore indoor track champs
- Bay and Homestead tie for North Shore boys track title
- Sports Shorts: April 3
- Homestead boys, in a transition year, does well