Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- The social media story of Homestead at Arrowhead football
- Allen leads Homestead football team to 24-20 victory over Arrowhead
- Football: Poll: Will Homestead or Arrowhead win in Week 2 matchup?
- Homestead functional in 29-8 win over Hartford
- Homestead football team can go far behind its O-line, leaders
- Homestead's Juedes, like his dad, was a leader in all ways
- Homestead baseball team bats and spirit carried it to state this year
- Homestead's 1994 state title was never easy
- Summer tourney a success for third straight year