Homestead senior defensive back Riley Pelisek was named the football athlete of the year by SportsRadio 1250 AM and First Bank Financial.
For his work with the WIAA State Division 2 champion Highlander squad last fall, Pelisek received a $1,500 scholarship in a ceremony at the First Bank office in Mequon Thursday morning.
1250 Radio names an athlete of the week each fall and winter for first the football and then the basketball season. They then take all the weekly winners and choose an athlete of the year for each sport.
Pelisek, who plans on attending the University of Pennsylvania with the idea of going into the school's prestigious Wharton School of Business, was grateful for the honor.
"Every little bit helps," he said. Pelisek recently helped the Highlander boys' track team win its fifth straight North Shore Conference Triple Crown with the league outdoor title on Tuesday.
Football coach Dave Keel was immensely proud of Pelisek.
"I cannot say enough good things about him," Keel said. "He is one of the most reliable and consistent young men that I've ever worked with and one of the finest leaders I've come across too."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Homestead christens new turf with victory
- Homestead football team learns lessons in loss to Arrowhead
- Homestead's new field to be ready for play on Friday
- Arrowhead overpowers Homestead, 28-14, in football opener
- Gridiron Guide: Homestead joins field-turf revolution
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Homestead Highlanders
- Homestead's Cho uses inner peace to play great baseball
- Homestead baseball team has a good time in earning 25-7 record
- Bizarre play leads to Homestead "9" sectional loss to Falls
- Niebrugge makes Homestead High proud again with finish at British Open