After 26 years on the job, Homestead boys track head coach Dan Benson is not so much leaving his job but making a lateral move away from its day-to-day weight.
Come this spring, he will transition to becoming a jumps coach and turn over the head coaching duties to current Homestead assistant coach and former long-time rival at Germantown Todd Brawner.
Citing his wife, his two children, his responsibilities as department head and his coaching duties, Benson said there are just not enough hours in the day anymore.
"....doing a quality job at whatever is on my plate is tough," he said. "This decision will free up time related to the track and field coach 'big picture' stuff. This might not seem like a lot, but it really is. In fact, I'm sure that there are many aspects of our track program that will get much better."
In his time at Homestead, Benson led the Highlanders to 41 North Shore Conference indoor, relays or outdoor titles and a state title three years ago. Brawner comes in well-credentialed too, having won 24 league crowns while coaching at Germantown including his own state title.
He came over to Homestead five years ago.
"We are proud to be working together to develop quality track and field athletes," said Benson.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Inspired by Popp, Homestead seizes fifth state football title
- Homestead girls basketball team has high expectations
- Highlanders rejoice over state football title
- Homestead wins fifth state football title, 28-12, over Waukesha West (2)
- Homestead football team faces uphill title fight against West
- Wolf and Zortman fill in each other's gaps well
- Long travel times for state playoffs are dangerous at night
- Homestead football team back in state finals after 27-23 thriller
- Homestead football team back to state semis with win over East
- Homestead whips Brookfield East, 35-25, advances to state semifinals