Whitefish Bay 6-3 senior guard John Johnston was named to the 21st annual NOW All-Suburban boys basketball team.
Johnston averaged 16.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.2 assists for the Blue Dukes who finished 19-8 and concluded their season with a loss to eventual WIAA Division 2 state champion Catholic Memorial in the WIAA sectional finals on March 13.
He did this despite playing on a bad ankle that he injured mid-season from which he never quite recovered. Johnston was the only returning starter for the Blue Dukes North Shore Conference championship unit of a year ago.
Johnston's choice marks the second year in a row a Bay player has made the team. Princeton recruit Jimmy Sherburne was on the team last season while former Blue Dukes coach (now at Pulaski) Dave Shaw was named Coach of the Year.
Also joining Johnston on the team will be fellow North Shore first-team all-league choice Zak Showalter of Germantown. Menomonee Falls' J.P. Tokoto is the player of the year while other selections include Nick Romanowski of Franklin, Will Pelkofer of Whitnall, Alex Diciaula of Brookfield Central, Chad Mathwig of New Berlin West, Mitch Sperka of New Berlin Eisenhower, Sam Krenzien of Wauwatosa West and Alec Molter of Greenfield.
The Wauwatosa West coaching staff was named coach of the year.
Narrowly missing all-suburban selection but gaining high honorable mention were Nicolet senior guard Myles Henry, Homestead senior forward John Laihinen and Homestead senior guard Coy Smith
The complete All-Suburban layout will be published in the April 1 edition of NOW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay girls win 10 events to repeat as North Shore track champs
- Sports Shorts: April 17
- Shorewood boys track scores first league title in 14 years
- Whitefish Bay and Homestead tie for North Shore Conference boys track and field indoor title
- Bay girls win 10 events to repeat as North Shore indoor track champs
- Bay and Homestead tie for North Shore boys track title
- Sports Shorts: April 3
- Homestead boys, in a transition year, does well
- Sports wrapups: March 4
- Boys basketball: Hartung provides the complementary ammo for upset