Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Nicolet boys volleyball team holds off Homestead in NSC thriller
- Homestead still controls its own fate in NSC football race (1)
- Homestead girls win North Shore Conference golf title
- Homestead football team ignores elements and overwhelms Lutheran, 34-14
- Germantown football team spoils Homestead's big night
- Football: Germantown football team spoils Homestead's big night with 34-29 win
- Rauch and Homestead cross paths again on the football field
- Highlanders cross country team takes second in its own invitational
- Football: Homestead christens new turf with victory
- Homestead football team learns lessons in loss to Arrowhead