Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cedarburg girls basketball team beats Homestead, ties for NSC lead
- Revamped Chekouras tourney a tribute to late Homestead basketball coach
- Homestead hockey team races to NSC title
- Homestead girls basketball team beats Gerrmantown, tightens NSC
- Homestead basketball teams influence NSC race with wins
- Millard, Homestead love wrestling
- Homestead gymnastics team wins division at own invite
- Whitefish Bay boys basketball team asserts it will, beats Homestead
- Homestead wins North Shore hockey tourney
- Former Homestead High School player Al Moroder named Nicolet football coach