Defense ruled the day as the Homestead football team won its fourth WIAA state title with a 14-0 victory over Waunakee on Friday at Camp Randall in Madison.
The Highlanders stopped the three-time state champion Warriors' 48-game win streak and claimed their first crown since 2008 with the help of three stops inside their own five-yard line.
Seniors like Shaquille Cole, Jay Schneider and Ryan Stendler fought through injuries to contribute mightily to the Homestead cause.
The surprising title could have been viewed as a Cinderella story but coach Dave Keel, who has presided over all of the team's championships, chose not to, saying that the team was underdog to no one.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead boys basketball team outlasts Bay in OT, 37-35
- Brown Deer boys tower over Shorewood in earning key league win
- Novak family has made an impression on Eimers
- Shorewood girls spoil opening night for Brown Deer's new court
- Sports Wrapups: Dec. 8
- Sports Wraps: Dec. 3
- Trio of All-Suburban stars helped Homestead stand tall in 2013
- Homestead football's Keel named NOW Coach of the Year
- Sports Wrapups: Nov. 26
- Homestead football team did not let down in fine 11-1 campaign