Led by sophomore Charlie Maleki's 12th-place performance, the overachieving Homestead boys golf team finished in a respectable ninth place out of 16 in the WIAA state meet June 3 and 4 at University Ridge in Madison.
The Highlanders' composed efforts impressed the heck out of veteran coach Steve O'Brien.
"I thought the guys performed to their abilities at state," he said. "The boys represented themselves and Homestead High School with complete class. I have never been more proud of a group of guys based on how they came together as a team and competed to the best of their abilities."
Homestead turned in a 36-hole team score of 651 as North Shore Conference champion Cedarburg won its first title in program history with an impressive 598 mark.
Maleki handled himself well at state, carding 18-hole rounds of 73 and 77 for a 150 total. Sauk Prairie's R.J. Budd's 143 was the lowest two-day score.
"Charlie had a splendid state tournament finishing tied for 12th with one of the best performances by any sophomore in the tournament," O'Brien said. "He would have finished in the top 10, but his 'coach' gave him bad advice that cost him two strokes. Another example of why I need to keep my mouth shut and just drive the van."
Other scores for the Highlanders included Zach Shahrokhi with a 166 (87-79), David Anderson 168 (84-84), Matt Mitman 170 (85-85) and Ryan Wirthlin 172 (84-88).
O'Brien was pleased with the final outcome of the up-and-down season for his team.
"Overall, considering everything including the less than spectacular weather (this spring), this was another great year for the Highlander golf program," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Homestead leaves no room for drama this time
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- No letdown as Homestead rolls past Port, 50-21
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Homestead football team looking forward after second Arrowhead win
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- The social media story of Homestead at Arrowhead football
- Allen leads Homestead football team to 24-20 victory over Arrowhead
- Football: Poll: Will Homestead or Arrowhead win in Week 2 matchup?
- Homestead functional in 29-8 win over Hartford