Led by sophomore Charlie Maleki's 12th-place performance, the overachieving Homestead boys golf team finished in a respectable ninth place out of 16 in the WIAA state meet June 3 and 4 at University Ridge in Madison.
The Highlanders' composed efforts impressed the heck out of veteran coach Steve O'Brien.
"I thought the guys performed to their abilities at state," he said. "The boys represented themselves and Homestead High School with complete class. I have never been more proud of a group of guys based on how they came together as a team and competed to the best of their abilities."
Homestead turned in a 36-hole team score of 651 as North Shore Conference champion Cedarburg won its first title in program history with an impressive 598 mark.
Maleki handled himself well at state, carding 18-hole rounds of 73 and 77 for a 150 total. Sauk Prairie's R.J. Budd's 143 was the lowest two-day score.
"Charlie had a splendid state tournament finishing tied for 12th with one of the best performances by any sophomore in the tournament," O'Brien said. "He would have finished in the top 10, but his 'coach' gave him bad advice that cost him two strokes. Another example of why I need to keep my mouth shut and just drive the van."
Other scores for the Highlanders included Zach Shahrokhi with a 166 (87-79), David Anderson 168 (84-84), Matt Mitman 170 (85-85) and Ryan Wirthlin 172 (84-88).
O'Brien was pleased with the final outcome of the up-and-down season for his team.
"Overall, considering everything including the less than spectacular weather (this spring), this was another great year for the Highlander golf program," he said.
- Mangan leaves knowing Homestead is in a good place
- Oak Creek baseball team passes test with win over Homestead, 7-3
- Talented, assertive Homestead soccer team won its own way
- Girls soccer: "We endured': Homestead's state soccer title well-earned
- CHAMPIONS! Mentally tough Homestead wins fourth state soccer title
- Homestead girls soccer team pulls upset on West, 2-1, heads to finals
- Deep, motivated Homestead girls soccer team heads to state
- NSC-leading Homestead baseball team pitching heavy
- Lutz's goal lifts Homestead girls soccer team over Cedarburg, 1-0
- Distance crew earns three track medals for Homestead boys