The Milwaukee Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), the area’s leading home improvement and remodeling industry resource for more than 49 years, presented its annual “Building Milwaukee” Award to Gus Gnorski, FOX6 TV personality and well-known Milwaukee handyman, at the association’s monthly membership meeting on Tues., Nov. 16.
The “Building Milwaukee” Award was created to recognize efforts made by individuals and groups who concentrate on community improvements and assist in the growth of the home remodeling industry.
“Gus Gnorski is considered to be Milwaukee’s best-known handyman and he has been able to answer thousands of listeners and viewers questions relating to home improvement and repairs,” said Diane Ausavich, CR, president of Milwaukee/NARI. “His experience of nearly 45 years has allowed him to teach homeowners when to do it themselves and when to turn to the professionals for help. He has been an advocate for Milwaukee/NARI and its members, and we recognize his efforts for helping homeowners enjoy their home to a fuller extent.”
Gnorski began broadcasting when he attended St. Joseph’s High School in Kenosha and worked evenings at an FM-radio station. He continued his interest in broadcasting, choosing it as a major at Marquette University.
He has been teaching people for more than 30 years about when to do it themselves and when to turn to professionals for help with home repairs. Gnorski began working for WTMJ Radio in 1966 and joined FOX 6 in 1992. Since then, he has taped more than 700 episodes of his weekly “Ask Gus” television show. He is also a regular on the FOX morning “Wake-up News.”
Gnorski and his wife Kay have four grown children and eight grandchildren. They reside in Port Washington.
The “Building Milwaukee” Award was previously presented to...
• 2009 – Sue Black, Director of the Milwaukee County Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture
• 2008 – William (Willie) G. Davidson, Senior Vice President and Chief Styling Officer for the Styling Department at Harley-Davidson, Inc.
• 2007 – Scott Walker, Milwaukee County Executive
• 2006 – Steve Tennies, Habitat for Humanity
• 2005 – Dr. Darnell Cole, President, Milwaukee Area Technical College
• 2004 – Dave Luczak and Carole Caine, morning show hosts for WKLH-FM 96.5
• 2003 – Gary Grunau
• 2002 – Joseph Chudnow
• 2001 – Members of the Police and Fire Departments of the City of Milwaukee
• 2000 – Michael Cudahy
• 1999 – Richard Snow
• 1998 – Allan H. (Bud) Selig
• 1997 – Milwaukee Mayor John O. Norquist
The Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council was chartered in July 1961, as a Chapter of the National Home Improvement Council. In May of 1982, the National Home Improvement Council merged with the National Remodelers Association to form NARI – the National Association of the Remodeling Industry.
The Council’s goals of encouraging ethical conduct, professionalism, and sound business practices in the remodeling industry have led to the remodeling industry’s growth and made NARI a recognized authority in that industry. With over 870 members, the Milwaukee Chapter is the nation’s largest.
For more information or to receive a free copy of an annual membership roster listing all members alphabetically and by category, and the booklet, “Milwaukee/NARI’s Remodeling Guide,” call (414) 771-4071 or visit the Council’s Web site at www.milwaukeenari.org.
Photo Caption: Gus Gnorski (left) receives the 2010 Milwaukee/NARI “Building Milwaukee” Award from David Pekel, CR, CAPS, CCP, member of the Milwaukee/NARI Government Affairs Committee.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- St. Francis Borgia Parish Hosts 'Breakfast with Baby Jesus' to House of Peace
- "Battle of the Bays" winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Smart Choice MRI Opens New Location in Waukesha County
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Mequon United Methodist Church Christmas Cantata - What a Gift
- Girl's Lacrosse Registration Now Open
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- City of Glendale to celebrate annual Menorah Lighting Ceremony at Bayshore Town Center
- 23rd Annual Homestead High School Holiday Celebration