MEQUON, WI – The Mequon-Thiensville School District has been named the best suburban district in the metro area by Milwaukee Magazine.
The rankings, which are put out annually by the magazine, rate area school districts on factors such as ACT scores, graduation rates and the percentage of students who are proficient or advanced on state tests in grades 4, 8 and 10.
“We are extremely proud to be named the best school district in the Milwaukee area,” said Dr. Demond Means, Superintendent. “This ranking proves once again why the students, parents, teachers and staff in our schools are, hands-down, the best in the state.”
Mequon-Thiensville’s ACT score average (25.9) was the best in Wisconsin last year, and its graduation rate of 99.8 percent topped the list of schools ranked on the magazine’s list. The same was true for its state test scores, which are consistently among the best in both the state and the region.
MTSD edged nearby districts Whitefish Bay, Elmbrook and River Hills to earn the top spot out of the 16 that were ranked.
“When it comes to new families moving into an area, one of the first things that is looked at is the quality of the local schools,” Means said. “When it comes to a great community that has outstanding educational opportunities, Mequon-Thiensville truly has it all.”
The listings were part of Milwaukee Magazine’s yearly ranking of Milwaukee’s best suburbs. Overall, Mequon and Thiensville were ranked 5th and 20th respectively out of 50 communities in the metro area. They also were near the top of the list for having the safest streets and lowest property taxes.
More information about the rankings and the entire “Best Suburbs” feature can be found in the April 2011 edition of Milwaukee Magazine.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Journey to Bethlehem at Whitefish Bay United Methodist
- Milwaukee Tradition Continues: BMO Harris Bank Display Opens December 2
- Winter Fun for Everyone in Mequon
- MECA's Angels for Animals
- #GivingTuesday: Girl Scout Troop Gives Cookie Money to Aurora Cancer Care in Grafton
- Festival of Trees
- Mequon Resident Performs in Acacia Theatre Company’s “Advent of Redemption”
- Concordia University Receives $50,000 for Health Mobile Program
- City of Glendale Menorah Lighting Ceremony: Community-wide “Light up the Night!” event to celebrate Chanukah
- Catholic Charities Offers Five Ideas on How to Slow Down and Enjoy the Holidays