Dr. Steven Weisman, professor of anesthesiology and pediatrics at The Medical College of Wisconsin, and the medical director of the Jane B. Pettit Pain and Palliative Care Center at the Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, has been awarded the 2011 Jeffrey Lawson Award from the American Pain Society.
The award recognizes Dr. Weisman’s clinical and research efforts in multidisciplinary system-wide approaches to pain management in children. Dr. Weisman spearheaded an institutional comprehensive pain management system know as the Comfort Zone™. In addition, the center has grown to be one of the busiest pain management referral centers for children in the United States. Dr. Weisman has organized several different quality improvement programs for pain management at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
Dr. Weisman came to the Medical College in 1998 from the Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven. There, he was director of the pediatric pain service of the department of anesthesiology, co-director of the pediatric anesthesiology fellowship training program and an attending physician at Yale-New Haven Hospital.
He completed his anesthesiology residency at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine in Farmington, and his pediatric residency at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Dr. Weisman has been the Chair of the Special Interest Group in Pain in Infants, Children and Adolescents of the American Pain society and has served on several panels to develop national guidelines for pain management.
A New York City native, he is a graduate of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, N.Y., where he won election to Alpha Omega Alpha national medical honor society. He received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y.
Most recently, his work has focused on the impact of chronic pain on families, treatment of pain with yoga and mindfulness meditation, and the interrelationship of obesity and chronic pain.
The Jeffrey Lawson Award was established in 1996 in memory of Jeffrey Lawson, whose mother advocated for improvements in pain management for children.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Daddy Daughter Date Night at Sky Zone February 11
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Design Tech Remodeling Named NARI 2016 Regional CotY TM Winner
- Black Lives Matter: Racial Disparity and the Criminal Justice System
- Bartelt Wins 2016 Regional Contractor of the Year (CotY) Award
- Backgammon Tournament Wednesday, Feb. 3!
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- NORTH SHORE BANK HOSTS BOOK SALE BENEFITING ADULT LITERACY CENTER OF OZAUKEE COUNTY
- Concordia to host free workshop for budding entrepreneurs
- Centers for Wellness & Natural Medicine Welcomes Dr. Erica Ackerman!