The National Merit Scholarship Corporation has named seven USM students as National Merit Semifinalists. About 1.5 million high school juniors entered the 2012 National Merit Scholarship Program by taking the 2010 Preliminary SAT, which served as the initial screen of program entrants. The nationwide pool of Semifinalists, which represents less than one percent of U.S. high school seniors, includes the highest-scoring entrants in each state. These talented students have the opportunity to continue in the competition for more than 8,300 National Merit Scholarships worth more than $34 million this spring.
Congratulations to the following seniors who have been named Semifinalists: Adam Brostowicz, John Casey, Emma Cranston, Nicole Flanary, Holly Janssen, Julia Rothacker, and Thomas Wheeler.
About 34,000 Commended Students throughout the nation are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise. Although they will not continue in the 2012 competition for National Merit Scholarships, they place in the top five percent of the students who took the qualifying PSAT.
Congratulations to the following seniors who were named Commended Students: Margeaux Hagemann, Christopher McGee, Richard Muggli, Samuel Scovil, and Ishan Sinha.
Additionally, seniors Adam Brostowicz, Nicole Flanary, Alexis Lindsey, and Blaque Robinson have been named Semifinalists in the National Achievement Scholarship Program, which honors talented black high school students. They have the chance to compete for one of the 700 one-time $2,500 scholarships, as well as 100 business and corporate-sponsored awards.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hilarious and Heartwarming "Holidays At My House" One-Woman Show!
- Join us for the Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll! (1)
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Acacia Ushers in Christmas with Encore Performance of Humorous “Fish Eyes"
- Mequon Nature Preserve Receives Community Partner of the Year Award
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Explains Bathtub Materials
- Glendale’s Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony to Feature 40-foot Live Balsam Tree
- Lake Country Orchestra - Concert at OAC
- Local Contractor Joins Campaign for Hunger Relief
- Should You Repair or Replace Your Appliance? Appliance Gallery Offers Some Advice