Concordia will once again be hosting this year’s Meningitis 5K Walk to benefit The Becky Werner Meningitis Foundation on Saturday, April 21 at 9:30 a.m. on CUW’s main campus. Each year the walk takes place surrounding World Meningitis Day, which is Tuesday, April 24 this year.
The first ever World Meningitis Day was held in 2009 and had the U.S. joining forces with 33 other countries. The parents of Becky Werner, Bob and Dee Dee of Mukwonago, Wis., started their foundation after Becky died unexpectedly of meningococcal meningitis on February 25, 2004 at the age of 20.
“Our mission is to educate other families so no one else will go through what we have gone through and continue to go through today and for the rest of our lives,” said Dee Dee Werner. “We know the dangers of meningitis first hand and the importance of getting pre-teens and teens vaccinated against this potentially deadly infection,” Werner added.
For more information on meningitis and to register for this year’s walk you can visit www.stampoutmeningitis.com. For more information on The Becky Werner Meningitis Foundation, contact Dee Dee and Bob Werner directly at 262-363-3057 or e-mail them at email@example.com.
The Web site www.comoononline.org has additional information on World Meningitis Day and how you can join in the fight. The aim is to have people from around the world join hands, virtually, to fight meningitis.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Ozaukee Family Services Applauds Local Businesses for their Generosity
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Allrite Home & Remodeling Wins Milwaukee/NARI Gold Award
- Alverno College Exceeds $30 Million Capital Campaign Goal
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- Free Financial Counseling Sessions Being Offered By The Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015.
- Free Financial Literacy Workshops Being Offered by the Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015
- Healthcare Training Grant Opportunities
- Bartelt Wins Two Gold Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards