Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast has awarded Thiensville resident and Homestead High School sophomore Becky Martin the highest award in Girl Scouting–the Girl Scout Gold Award. This prestigious award symbolizes outstanding accomplishment in leadership development and community service.
Girl Scouts who receive this award have completed several project components and have taken action for approximately 65 to 80 hours to complete a project that makes a significant impact in her community and beyond. A Girl Scout who has earned her Girl Scout Gold Award immediately rises one rank in any of the U.S. military branches.
Realizing just how much our soldiers endure in order to ensure that we have our basic freedoms, Martin created a military memorial in Highland Woods Park in Mequon. She planted five flowering crab trees, each with a plaque describing what branch of the military it represents. With the help of local children, Martin made an American Flag mosaic and painted rocks to go around the trees. She also held a ceremony thanking those who helped and, most importantly, our nation’s heroes.
“The Girl Scout Gold Award carries responsibility along with honor. When a Girl Scout achieves this award, she also makes a lifetime commitment to being courageous, confident, and a person of character,” said council Interim CEO Carol Robinson.
This year, 16 young women earned their Girl Scout Gold Award and 127 earned their Girl Scout Silver Award.
Girl Scouts of the USA is the pre-eminent leadership development organization for girls. Ranked #4 nationally in Girl Market Share for the 2010-2011-membership year, Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast (GSWISE) serves more than 28,500 girls. Girl Scouting is the leading authority on girls' health development, and builds girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place. For more information, visit www.gswise.org, or call 1-800-565-4475.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mount Mary University Presents Fashion BOOT Camp
- Gov. Scott Walker Reelection Speech April 15, 2015
- Big Spring Book Sale Set for Falls Library
- Newcastle Place completes 1,449.6 miles of cardiovascular activity as part of nationwide challenge for seniors
- North Shore Easter Egg Hunt Celebrates 44 Years of Bringing Joy to Children and Families
- Kids Rule Academy Recognized as Wisconsin’s Newest Elite Pre-School and Day Care Center
- UW Sea Grant to Host Pet Amnesty Day
- Newman Civic Fellows Award for 2014
- Best-Selling, Oprah Book Club Author Christina Schwarz Coming to Mount Mary
- Germantown High School Announces February Students of the Month