Milwaukee Choristers Christmas Concerts Set for December 7 and 8 at St. Mary's Visitation
“Moods of Christmas” is the theme of this year’s December concert by the Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org). The 75-voice chorus, under the direction of Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., will perform Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8, at 7:30 p.m. at St. Mary’s Visitation Church in Elm Grove (1260 Church Street). The Choristers previously performed their December programs at St. Jude the Apostle Catholic Church in Wauwatosa from 2003 until 2011.
Advance tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for seniors and $5 for students. Those tickets may be purchased online at www.milwaukeechoristers.org, from members of the chorus or by calling 414-354-1933. Tickets also may be purchased at the door, where the prices will be $18, $15 and $6 respectively. All seating is general admission.
Dr. Kinchen has programmed a concert featuring musical depictions of the wide-ranging emotions of the holiday season, inspired by the Robert Russell Bennett’s 1963 set of suites entitled “Many Moods of Christmas”. The Choristers will perform two suites from that work, along with Craig Courtney’s lighthearted “A Musicological Journey Through the 12 Days of Christmas”, a stirring setting of the centuries-old Latin text “O Magnum Mysterium”, the African American spirituals “Sister Mary had-a But One Child” and “I Believe this is Jesus”, and John Rutter’s heartfelt “I Wish You Christmas”. Other yuletide favorites include “Do You Hear What I Hear”, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and a powerful rendition of the “Hallelujah Chorus” from Handel’s Messiah.
A free reception will follow the concert each night, as well as a raffle with a number of festive prizes. Raffle tickets will be available for purchase before and after each night’s performance and during intermissions.
In the giving spirit of the season, concert-goers are invited to bring non-perishable food items that will be distributed to families in need by this all-volunteer charitable organization. All contributions are tax deductible.
For more information about the concert and the Choristers, visit www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Ozaukee Family Services Applauds Local Businesses for their Generosity
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Allrite Home & Remodeling Wins Milwaukee/NARI Gold Award
- Alverno College Exceeds $30 Million Capital Campaign Goal
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- Free Financial Counseling Sessions Being Offered By The Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015.
- Free Financial Literacy Workshops Being Offered by the Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015
- Healthcare Training Grant Opportunities
- Bartelt Wins Two Gold Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards