Milwaukee Area Messiah Community Chorus and Orchestra to Present Handel's Messiah at Two Area Churches this Holiday Season
The Milwaukee Area Messiah Community Chorus and Orchestra (MAMCCO) will present Handel’s Messiah at two area churches this holiday season. The ecumenical volunteer chorus will present Messiah on Friday, November 30, at 7:30 p.m. at St. Gabriel Parish in Hubertus, Wis., and on Sunday, December 2, at 3:00 p.m. at Crossroads Presbyterian Church in Mequon, Wis. Doors open 30 minutes before each presentation.
Founded in 2009, the group, made up almost entirely of local volunteers, is in its fourth year presenting Handel’s Messiah at no cost to the audience. From its humble beginnings, MAMCCO has grown in dedication, size and strength to feature a talented chorus of 85+ singers, five soloists and a 19-piece orchestra. Although most members have a background in music, their main mission is to enrich the residents of the Greater Milwaukee area by spreading joy throughout the holiday season. More than 100 hours of planning and 15 rehearsals go into the appearances each year.
A musical rite of the holiday season, Handel’s Messiah is an English-language oratorio composed in 1741 by George Frideric Handel, which has gone on to become one of the best-known and most frequently performed choral works in western music.
“We are primarily volunteers committed to learning and presenting this great work, providing
free opportunities for people to enjoy it and giving back to the community by collecting a free-will offering,” said Marta Ballering, founder and secretary of MAMCCO. “Sharing our talents and passion with the community each holiday season is truly a blessing that we look forward to each year.”
While there is no admission charge to attend the presentations, a free-will offering at each event is contributed to a local Christian charity. This year’s charity is the Milwaukee Rescue Mission, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to serving the homeless and less fortunate in Milwaukee by providing food, shelter, education and training.
“We selected the Milwaukee Rescue Mission this year because of the difference it makes every day in our community by providing the right care, resources and skills necessary to get people back on their feet. We are proud to be affiliated with an organization that demonstrates such tremendous compassion and care,” said Darin Rigglmen, treasurer of MAMCCO and a member of the chorus since the group’s inception.
For more information about MAMCCO’s presentations and venues, please visit: www.mamcco.org. To hear choruses from last year’s presentations, visit MAMCCO’s YouTube channel.
To learn more about the Milwaukee Rescue Mission, visit: www.milmission.org.
About the Milwaukee Area Messiah Community Chorus and Orchestra
The Milwaukee Area Messiah Community Chorus and Orchestra (MAMCCO) is a non-profit organization that presents Handel’s Messiah at no cost during the holiday season. Formed
in 2009, the presentation features a full chorus of 85+ singers, five soloists and a 19-piece orchestra. Donations from this year’s free-will offering will benefit The Milwaukee Rescue Mission. To learn more about MAMCCO and this year’s schedule, please visit www.mamcco.org and follow the group on Facebook.
About the Milwaukee Rescue Mission
In Milwaukee, when men or mothers with children need a hot meal, a warm, safe bed, or a place to put their lives back together, they come to the Milwaukee Rescue Mission. We are here to provide care and support to people who are in need. Our departments that deliver comprehensive programs include:
• Safe Harbor, the Mission's refuge for homeless, hurting men.
• Joy House, our place of safety and support for homeless mothers with children.
• Cross Trainers Academy, a K-6th grade Christian school for at-risk children in the city of Milwaukee.
To learn more about the Milwaukee Rescue Mission, please visit www.milmission.org and follow the organization on Facebook.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Voting YES on the MTSD referendum is the right thing to do
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Gary Dunco, Saukville Resident, Achieves Ameriprise Private Wealth Advisor Status
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Advises Travelers to Take Precautions Against Bed Bugs this Spring Travel Season
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Acacia Theatre Present "Great Expectations" at Concordia University
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- 15 Companies Join Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser