Virtual Education: Why it can work for you
Every day, Wisconsin teachers strive to fulfill fundamental goals of education: to foster a love of learning and challenge students to try new things to reach their full potential. The goals of virtual education, and virtual school educators, are no different.
Wisconsin Connections Academy (WCA) is an online public school available, tuition-free, to students in kindergarten through 12th grade statewide. Just like traditional brick-and-mortar schools, WCA engages in effective classroom instruction, maintains ongoing communication with students and families, employs dedicated teachers, and offers core academic courses and interesting electives.
I’m often asked what I think makes online learning such a good option for students. I preface my answer by saying that virtual education isn’t for everyone, but for many it is a great fit and I always encourage students and parents to learn more. In my view, these are some of the top reasons students succeed in virtual school:
•Customized Learning. Technology affords WCA the opportunity to adjust learning for each student. Through our Personalized Performance Learning approach, an instruction plan is tailored to each student’s abilities and is built around a student’s background, learning style, academic goals and progress. WCA also offers Gifted and Talented, College Preparatory and Honors and Advanced Placement classes.
•Flexibility. Because students learn from home and aren’t tied to the schedules of their peers, there is more flexibility in terms of where, when, and how quickly – or slowly – they can learn. This flexibility also allows students to pursue their individual interests and needs without sacrificing a quality education. Whether pursuing competitive athletics, performing arts, or addressing personal challenges such as health issues, WCA’s flexibility gives students the freedom to grow and the tools to succeed.
•Personal and Academic Goal Setting. Students enrolled in virtual school are never alone in the learning process. Highly-qualified, state-certified, teachers and staff are dedicated to helping students reach their full potential through goal-setting, course scheduling, personal and social development and post-graduation planning.
For those seeking an alternative to the traditional classroom, virtual education offers a dynamic learning community that focuses on the academic and emotional success of students. For more information on our virtual academy, visit www.WisconsinConnectionsAcademy.com
Wisconsin Connections Academy Principal
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
- Health on the Go: New Tools are Helping Consumers Make Better Health Care Decisions
- Katie Wilson, Mequon Resident and Homestead Senior to represent the USA in the 2015 FIS Junior World Snowboard Championships in China
- Concordia University Hosts 'Career Night' at its Five Milwaukee Area Centers on March 19 at 6 p.m.
- Dragonfly Meditation Studio Opens in Mequon
- Elite Sports Clubs Glendale Offers Free ‘Yoga/Meditation for Sleep’ Class in March
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- Concordia University Creates New Position to Help Veterans Achieve Education Goals
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop