Milwaukee area residents will have their last public chance to see the award-winning documentary film Consider the Conversation, A Documentary on a Taboo Subject, when Horizon Home Care & Hospice presents it on Wednesday, October 16 at 7:00pm at Marcus North Shore Cinema (11700 N. Port Washington Rd., Mequon). A panel discussion will follow.
Produced by local filmmakers Michael Bernhagen and Terry Kaldhusdal, the film sheds light on the 21st century American struggle with communication and preparation at life’s end. To date, the film has aired 428 times on 165 PBS stations in 31 states, has sold hundreds of copies on online, and has won at least 11 major awards. In addition to providing a final opportunity to see the film in Wisconsin, the showing will be followed by a panel discussion featuring the filmmakers along with professionals from Horizon and the healthcare community including Kathryn Denson, M. D. Associate Professor of Medicine, Geriatrics & Gerontology, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Chief Medical Officer & Medical Director, Horizon Home Care & Hospice.
Bernhagen and Kaldhusdal both lost loved ones to severe chronic disease and struggled, like most Americans do, to make sense of what was happening. These personal experiences, combined with Bernhagen’s many years of work in the hospice field, led the pair to produce documentaries with one simple goal in mind: to inspire culture change that results in end-of-life care that is more person-centered and less system-centered.
The pair has devoted and donated thousands of hours to film making, bringing this topic closer to the forefront of the increasingly important conversation about end-of-life choices and care. Soon, the filmmakers will be beginning the intensive post-production phase of their second film which focuses on communication between doctors and patients regarding end-of-life issues.
Tickets for the Consider the Conversation screening are $8 and can be purchased online at www.horizonhch.org or by phone 414-586-8360.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Northshore Physical Therapy Offers Free Pain/Injury Screenings with Humane Society Donations
- Journey to Bethlehem at Whitefish Bay United Methodist
- Milwaukee Tradition Continues: BMO Harris Bank Display Opens December 2
- Winter Fun for Everyone in Mequon
- MECA's Angels for Animals
- #GivingTuesday: Girl Scout Troop Gives Cookie Money to Aurora Cancer Care in Grafton
- Festival of Trees
- Mequon Resident Performs in Acacia Theatre Company’s “Advent of Redemption”
- Concordia University Receives $50,000 for Health Mobile Program