I was confused by Mark Gierl's love fest at Concordia University Wisconsin on the 11th. He waxed poetic about his relationship with the university, failing, however, to mention that his campaign treasurer and CUW neighbor, Philip Koepke, had just finished suing the school for damage to his bluff. Additionally, Gierl’s lightening-rod marionette and key supporter, Dan Bradley, another CUW neighbor to the north, dutifully opposes everything the school proposes. He’s either just plain angry or has social issues (when the school sought input on its 40-year vision, he manufactured renderings of a grotesque parking structure to rally neighbors against the plan).
The link between Gierl, Koepke, and Bradley was completed when Bob Ashmore arrived with Mary McIntyre. It’s “back-to-the future” with this retro duo who first ran Mequon into the ditch with Ashmore’s profoundly boorish “no-growth” agenda from 1993-99. Thankfully, he disappeared while we attempted to right the ship. Don't forget, Ashmore gave us the 5-acre lot and McIntyre rallied against Rotary Park because she didn’t like kids playing soccer (a social evil – kids playing soccer). And now, Mayor Dan Abendroth’s old guard has enlisted Ashmore from the crypt, and Gierl from a dead end at the edge of the city, to reinstate their visionless agenda. It’s a tone deaf hack squad up to no good!
I’ve known Patrick Rochford for 30 years. He has integrity, compassion, and smarts. He has been a supporter of the Mequon-Thiensville school system, CUW, Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital Ozaukee, Newcastle Place (when it wasn’t popular), sensible business growth on the Port Washington Road corridor and, with some reservations, the I-43 - Highland Road interchange. He recognizes we need measured, organic residential growth for young professionals & down-sizing seniors. He doesn’t play games with opponents’ yard signs and is truthful about Concordia’s position on the I-43 - Highland Road interchange (officially, NEUTRAL – not ANTI as Gierl would have you believe). Rochford supports what's best for the city and its residents. Vote for Rochford!
Allie Kuopus, Mequon resident
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Flip Troiano, MD, co-founder of the “Wellness University,” engages a class on how to “Preserve Your Brain!”
- Cornerstone Community Bank Hosts Shred Events
- Village of Shorewood Hosts Second Annual Plein Air Festival
- Playworks Wisconsin Staff Receives National Award
- Polish Harvest Festival
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Gary Dunco, Saukville Resident, Achieves Ameriprise Circle of Success Recognition
- Holy Hill Arts & Crafts Fair Celebrates 40th Year – 2014 Event Scheduled for Sat., Sept. 20
- Milwaukee/NARI Reveals the Secret Ingredient of an Award-Winning Remodel
- Back to School Can be Tough for Students with Mental Health Challenges - New Online Resources from Rogers InHealth Aim to Help