How can one Maltese man, albeit a Catholic missionary priest, change the world? Father Alex Busittil, a member of the Missionary Society of St. Paul, invites people in Wisconsin to come learn. He will be at a gathering hosted by Holy Family Parish, Whitefish Bay, on Friday, April 25, at 7 pm.
Ordained in 1984, Fr. Alex cut his missionary teeth working with Mother Theresa’s Sisters of Charity in Calcutta and Delhi, India, and went on to serve in Pakistan and Libya before he settled in Peru in 1995.
He established a mission in the mountains outside Alto Cayma (7550 feet above sea level), on the outskirts of Arequipa, Peru’s second largest city. Natives, who come down from the same mountains where the Inca once dominated, receive nurturing, skills -- and religion – to go forth into a world foreign to them.
Fr. Alex seeks both help and understanding. He wants people from the US, Europe and Australia to come to his missions to expose them to people just encountering the edges of the developed world, and he hopes to create an exchange program promoting “Peace through service.”
He organizes his parishioners to build and work in their own facilities – churches, child care, community centers, health services. His missions provide more than 700 meals/day to the hungry and offer basic vocational
education as well as health care. He is in charge of an orphanage with 100 children, is pastor of four parishes and supports numerous schools. His motto is: “Serving God in His people.”
Come meet this remarkable man and hear his remarkable story. Coffee and desserts will be served. The gathering will be held in McCormick Hall, just below the church, which is located on Hampton Road and Wildwood Avenue in Whitefish Bay. There is parking in the lot off Marlborough Avenue and a handicapped entrance in the front of church on Wildwood, where there is street parking.
A group from Holy Family visited Fr. Alex’ mission in 2012 and another group is being organized for a 2014 trip.
For information, contact Monica Zela-Koort at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 688-0095 or Richard Muirhead at email@example.com or (414) 964-9285. There also is information about Fr. Alex, his missions and the April 25 program available at www/hfparish.org.
- Wisconsin Luxury Home Market(ing) Trends
- Charter Manufacturing Purchases Mequon Office Building
- Mequon Resident is all Smiles at Froedtert Hospital
- Volunteer Center community volunteering
- Concordia University Wisconsin's Early Childhood Literacy Festival features Grafton author
- Wauwatosa West Class of 2001 Reunion
- LOOKING FOR OLD GLENDALE POLICE VOLUNTEERS
- Concordia University Wisconsin Computer Science Tech Camp unleashes children's creativity
- Public Meeting About Lake Michigan Water Levels and Bluff Failure
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities