How can one Maltese man, albeit a Catholic missionary priest, change the world? Father Alex Busittil, a member of the Missionary Society of St. Paul, invites people in Wisconsin to come learn. He will be at a gathering hosted by Holy Family Parish, Whitefish Bay, on Friday, April 25, at 7 pm.
Ordained in 1984, Fr. Alex cut his missionary teeth working with Mother Theresa’s Sisters of Charity in Calcutta and Delhi, India, and went on to serve in Pakistan and Libya before he settled in Peru in 1995.
He established a mission in the mountains outside Alto Cayma (7550 feet above sea level), on the outskirts of Arequipa, Peru’s second largest city. Natives, who come down from the same mountains where the Inca once dominated, receive nurturing, skills -- and religion – to go forth into a world foreign to them.
Fr. Alex seeks both help and understanding. He wants people from the US, Europe and Australia to come to his missions to expose them to people just encountering the edges of the developed world, and he hopes to create an exchange program promoting “Peace through service.”
He organizes his parishioners to build and work in their own facilities – churches, child care, community centers, health services. His missions provide more than 700 meals/day to the hungry and offer basic vocational
education as well as health care. He is in charge of an orphanage with 100 children, is pastor of four parishes and supports numerous schools. His motto is: “Serving God in His people.”
Come meet this remarkable man and hear his remarkable story. Coffee and desserts will be served. The gathering will be held in McCormick Hall, just below the church, which is located on Hampton Road and Wildwood Avenue in Whitefish Bay. There is parking in the lot off Marlborough Avenue and a handicapped entrance in the front of church on Wildwood, where there is street parking.
A group from Holy Family visited Fr. Alex’ mission in 2012 and another group is being organized for a 2014 trip.
For information, contact Monica Zela-Koort at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 688-0095 or Richard Muirhead at email@example.com or (414) 964-9285. There also is information about Fr. Alex, his missions and the April 25 program available at www/hfparish.org.
- OPEN HOUSE – Learn about Volunteer Opportunities at Ozaukee Family Services
- Lippert Tile wins Starnet® Worldwide’s 2016 Flooring Contractor Sustainability Award
- Travel Leaders offers tips for Navagating Airport Security lines faster
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- J&B Construction Explains Ways to Boost Your Home’s Curb Appeal
- 24th Annual Parish Nurse Conference At Concordia University Centers On Hope and Help
- BloodCenter CEO announces retirement
- Wine Women Word
- June 10 reception Reveals New Exhibitions at Cedarburg Art Museum
- U.S. Cellular Sponsors Mequon Little League: Sponsorship includes more than $75,000 in needed gear for six Wisconsin youth leagues