Announcing the NAMI Family-to-Family Education Course
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Ozaukee County will sponsor the NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program specifically for families of persons diagnosed with serious mental illness. The 12-week series of classes will start in Mequon on Sunday, September 7, 2014 from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm at Christ Church in Mequon at 13460 N. Port Washington Road, Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.
The course will cover information about schizophrenia, the mood disorders (bipolar disorder and major depression), panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder; coping skills such handling crisis and relapse; basic information about medications; listening and communication techniques; problem-solving skills; recovery and rehabilitation; and self-care around worry and stress. The curriculum has been written by an experienced family member mental health professional and the course will be taught by NAMI-Ozaukee family member volunteers who have taken intensive training as course instructors. The co-teachers for the Ozaukee area will be Jeff Graf and John Kopp.
“This course is a wonderful experience!” says NAMI Ozaukee President Mary Luzinski, “It balances basic psycho-education and skill-training with emotional support, self-care and empowerment. We hope families with relatives who have a serious mental illness will take advantage of this unique opportunity.
The course is designed specifically for parents, siblings, spouses, teen-aged and adult children and significant others of persons with severe and persistent mental illness. This course in not appropriate for individuals who themselves suffer from one of the major mental illnesses.
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education course is free. For more information or to register, call Jeff Graf or John Kopp at 262-243-3627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BBB Wisconsin Announces Statewide Torch Ethics Award Finalists
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
- Alverno College Cancels Classes For One Day So Students Can Volunteer
- Ukranian Folk Rock Will Wrap Up Alverno Presents' 55th Season
- Mequon Resident Makes Theater Debut
- Grace Lutheran Fish Fry Fundraiser
- Family Fun Raffle benefiting Ozaukee Family Services
- Innovative Luxury Resale Business Streamlines and Expands Operations
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Meijer Announces Job Openings for Grafton and Kenosha Supercenters