Announcing the NAMI Family-to-Family Education Course
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Ozaukee County will sponsor the NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program specifically for families of persons diagnosed with serious mental illness. The 12-week series of classes will start in Mequon on Sunday, September 7, 2014 from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm at Christ Church in Mequon at 13460 N. Port Washington Road, Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.
The course will cover information about schizophrenia, the mood disorders (bipolar disorder and major depression), panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder; coping skills such handling crisis and relapse; basic information about medications; listening and communication techniques; problem-solving skills; recovery and rehabilitation; and self-care around worry and stress. The curriculum has been written by an experienced family member mental health professional and the course will be taught by NAMI-Ozaukee family member volunteers who have taken intensive training as course instructors. The co-teachers for the Ozaukee area will be Jeff Graf and John Kopp.
“This course is a wonderful experience!” says NAMI Ozaukee President Mary Luzinski, “It balances basic psycho-education and skill-training with emotional support, self-care and empowerment. We hope families with relatives who have a serious mental illness will take advantage of this unique opportunity.
The course is designed specifically for parents, siblings, spouses, teen-aged and adult children and significant others of persons with severe and persistent mental illness. This course in not appropriate for individuals who themselves suffer from one of the major mental illnesses.
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education course is free. For more information or to register, call Jeff Graf or John Kopp at 262-243-3627 or email email@example.com .
- OPEN HOUSE – Learn about Volunteer Opportunities at Ozaukee Family Services
- Lippert Tile wins Starnet® Worldwide’s 2016 Flooring Contractor Sustainability Award
- Travel Leaders offers tips for Navagating Airport Security lines faster
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- J&B Construction Explains Ways to Boost Your Home’s Curb Appeal
- 24th Annual Parish Nurse Conference At Concordia University Centers On Hope and Help
- BloodCenter CEO announces retirement
- Wine Women Word
- June 10 reception Reveals New Exhibitions at Cedarburg Art Museum
- U.S. Cellular Sponsors Mequon Little League: Sponsorship includes more than $75,000 in needed gear for six Wisconsin youth leagues