On March 18, MATC Sociology Instructor Rebecca Hartzog will lead a discussion of Angelou’s Letter to My Daughter, a compilation of essays and several poems written to the daughter she never had. Addressing all women, Angelou shares Angelou shares lessons she's learned from the people she’s met, places she has been and events of her life. She shares her wisdom on motherhood, kindness and what it means to be human.
On April 22, MATC Natural Sciences Instructor Brenda Wingard-Haynes and MATC Physical Education Instructor Pat Pretty will lead a discussion of Pollan’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma. The book examines the social, ethical and environmental impact of how we use and obtain food. Pollan traces the origins of four meals in a study of how additives and cost-effective production of today’s foods have left Americans overfed and undernourished. He explains the health risks of the additives which have led to obesity and diabetes epidemics and addresses the environmental impact of the way food is grown and animals are fed for consumption.
Buy any of the books at Creekside Books in Cedarburg or at the Mequon Harry W. Schwartz Bookshop (by March 31) and get 15 percent off when you mention the MATC Mequon Campus book discussion group. Copies of the books can be checked out at the Mequon Campus Library. For more information, please call Marianne Szabo, (262) 238-2262, or e-mail email@example.com.
The largest technical college in the state, Milwaukee Area Technical College is a key driver of the economy in southeastern Wisconsin. MATC offers 200 degrees, diplomas, certificates and apprenticeships, plus nearly 400 transfer options leading to bachelor’s degrees. A large pre-college program enables people to complete high school and prepare for higher learning. The Office of Corporate Learning provides customized training to incumbent workers. Approximately 48,000 students per year attend the college’s four campuses, numerous evening centers and community-based sites, or learn online. Overwhelmingly, MATC graduates build careers and businesses right here at home. Visit www.matc.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mount Mary University Presents Fashion BOOT Camp
- Gov. Scott Walker Reelection Speech April 15, 2015
- Big Spring Book Sale Set for Falls Library
- Newcastle Place completes 1,449.6 miles of cardiovascular activity as part of nationwide challenge for seniors
- North Shore Easter Egg Hunt Celebrates 44 Years of Bringing Joy to Children and Families
- Kids Rule Academy Recognized as Wisconsin’s Newest Elite Pre-School and Day Care Center
- UW Sea Grant to Host Pet Amnesty Day
- Newman Civic Fellows Award for 2014
- Best-Selling, Oprah Book Club Author Christina Schwarz Coming to Mount Mary
- Germantown High School Announces February Students of the Month