Port Washington, WI (May 13, 2009) – Warm summer temperatures can lead to respiratory crisis in dogs with laryngeal paralysis.
Laryngeal paralysis (LP) is a breathing condition seen primarily in older, geriatric, large breed dogs. In LP, the upper airway does not function normally, making breathing difficult and preventing normal air flow. This significantly impedes the dog’s ability to regulate its body temperature with panting and can lead to severe respiratory distress and heat stroke. Many dogs with LP do fine through the winter months but have difficulties during the summer.
A respiratory crisis as seen with LP can be avoided with recognition and timely treatment of the condition. Dogs with LP tend to have a very characteristic noisy breathing pattern and intolerance for exercise, heat and humidity. Diagnosis is made by visual examination of the upper airway by a veterinarian. LP can be corrected by a surgery called arytenoid lateralization or laryngeal “tie back”. This surgery improves the dog’s ability to breath, regulates their body temperature and avoids a respiratory or heat-related crisis.
Lakeshore Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Hospital has state-of-the-art facilities in Port Washington and Racine to help service each patient’s needs in a compassionate and comprehensive fashion. The emergency staff is prepared to manage and stabilize dogs experiencing a respiratory crisis and our board certified surgeons have expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of laryngeal paralysis to ensure the patient receives the best care available. We are available 24/7 to meet any of your pet’s needs.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Janice Buback
Lakeshore Veterinary Specialists & Emergency Hospital
4333 S. Green Bay Road, Racine, WI 53403 • Phone 262.544.5344 • Fax 262.544.5346
207 W. Seven Hills Road, Port Washington, WI 53074 • Phone 262.268.7800 • Fax 262.268.7878
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Advises Travelers to Take Precautions Against Bed Bugs this Spring Travel Season
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Acacia Theatre Present "Great Expectations" at Concordia University
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- 15 Companies Join Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser
- Ozaukee Family Services' Spring Brunch - May 6
- New! LIFT Field Hockey!
- MOMS Club® of Mequon-Thiensville holding on-line auction to benefit Ozaukee Family Services