Port Washington, WI (May 13, 2009) – Warm summer temperatures can lead to respiratory crisis in dogs with laryngeal paralysis.
Laryngeal paralysis (LP) is a breathing condition seen primarily in older, geriatric, large breed dogs. In LP, the upper airway does not function normally, making breathing difficult and preventing normal air flow. This significantly impedes the dog’s ability to regulate its body temperature with panting and can lead to severe respiratory distress and heat stroke. Many dogs with LP do fine through the winter months but have difficulties during the summer.
A respiratory crisis as seen with LP can be avoided with recognition and timely treatment of the condition. Dogs with LP tend to have a very characteristic noisy breathing pattern and intolerance for exercise, heat and humidity. Diagnosis is made by visual examination of the upper airway by a veterinarian. LP can be corrected by a surgery called arytenoid lateralization or laryngeal “tie back”. This surgery improves the dog’s ability to breath, regulates their body temperature and avoids a respiratory or heat-related crisis.
Lakeshore Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Hospital has state-of-the-art facilities in Port Washington and Racine to help service each patient’s needs in a compassionate and comprehensive fashion. The emergency staff is prepared to manage and stabilize dogs experiencing a respiratory crisis and our board certified surgeons have expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of laryngeal paralysis to ensure the patient receives the best care available. We are available 24/7 to meet any of your pet’s needs.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Janice Buback
Lakeshore Veterinary Specialists & Emergency Hospital
4333 S. Green Bay Road, Racine, WI 53403 • Phone 262.544.5344 • Fax 262.544.5346
207 W. Seven Hills Road, Port Washington, WI 53074 • Phone 262.268.7800 • Fax 262.268.7878
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Free Workshops for Parents of Teens/Adolescents
- Concordia University Wisconsin Offers Safe Disposal of Prescription Drugs
- Some of the finest one of a kind Jewelry can be found at Purloin Studio
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- Hair cuts for Ayla
- Alverno College Cancels Classes For One Day So Students Can Volunteer
- New Sailor on the Block