Nearly 50 years ago, the doors to Homestead High School first opened, ushering in a new era of academic excellence in Mequon and Thiensville. That date, September 14, 1959, will be commemorated exactly 50 years later with the first of several community celebrations of Homestead’s 50th anniversary.
Community members, alumni, parents, teachers and students are invited to Homestead’s James Barr Auditorium at 7:00pm on Monday, September 14, for a program that will include a performance by the Homestead High School Band and a slide show featuring highlights from Homestead’s remarkable history. According to principal Mark Roherty, the evening will also include remarks from guests, including members of the Class of 1962, faculty, staff and administrators from the first year. A highlight of the evening will be the unveiling of an original painting by Arnold Alaniz, a former HHS faculty member who is now a nationally recognized artist. Attendees will also be treated to birthday cake and other refreshments.
In its short 50 year history, HHS has produced dozens of National Merit Scholars, nationally known musicians, artists, filmmakers, philanthropists, and CEO’s. An athletic powerhouse almost from the start, Homestead can claim more than 34 State of Wisconsin individual and team champions. Homestead High School has played a major role in the growth of the communities of Mequon and Thiensville and while the accomplishments of its alumni are remarkable, equally compelling are the stories of those whose dedication, foresight and commitment to excellence created the school and district which exist today.
The September 14 celebration will be followed by more festivities at Homestead’s Friday, October 9 Homecoming event which will include a parade, reception, football game against Whitefish Bay and recognition of Homecoming queens from the last 50 years.
Also planned is a December 13 Open House, exactly 50 years after the first Open House which was held for the community after the opening of Homestead. In addition, other student events throughout the remainder of the school year will mark the anniversary.
For more information, contact Principal Mark Roherty at Homestead High School at 262-238-5646 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Converters and Packaging Suppliers Invited to Attend the Label & Package Printing Industry Day, June 25, in Milwaukee
- Individuals Encouraged to Join Playworks Wisconsin 4th Annual Corporate Kickball Tournament
- Volunteer Opportunities in Our Community
- Gary Dunco, Saukville Resident, Achieves Ameriprise Circle of Success Recognition, Five Star Wealth Management Award
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Newcastle Place staff completes training for Heartfelt Connections Memory Care Program
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Johnson Bank Volunteers at Mequon Nature Preserve
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help