The district was informed today that 17 seniors from the Class of 2010 were named Semifinalists for the National Merit Scholarship.
The National Merit Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships that began in1955. High school students enter the National Merit Program by taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test - a test that serves as an initial screen of approximately 1.5 million entrants each year.
In early September, about 16,000 students, or approximately one-third of the 50,000 high scorers, are notified that they have qualified as a Semifinalist.
Homestead High School has never had more than 17 National Semifinalists in one graduating class.
This is only the fourth time in the fifty-year history of the high school that we have had 17 National Semifinalists.
“The district is quite proud of the accomplishments of the 17 young people who have recognized as National Merit Semifinalists,” says Dr. Demond A. Means, Superintendent of the Mequon-Thiensville School District.
The students are:
Homestead High School (enrollment 1479 students) had the third highest number of National Semifinalists in the state.
Madison West HighSchool (enrollment of 2,005 students) led the state with 30 National Semifinalists followed by Madison Memorial High School (enrollment of 1,924 students) who had 25 National Semifinalists.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Ozaukee Family Services Applauds Local Businesses for their Generosity
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Allrite Home & Remodeling Wins Milwaukee/NARI Gold Award
- Alverno College Exceeds $30 Million Capital Campaign Goal
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- Free Financial Counseling Sessions Being Offered By The Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015.
- Free Financial Literacy Workshops Being Offered by the Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015
- Healthcare Training Grant Opportunities
- Bartelt Wins Two Gold Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards