Mequon United Methodist Church was among many groups and individuals that participated in this year's CROP Walk, which took place on Saturday, October 10. CROP is the community hunger appeal of Church World Service and stands for "Communities Responding to Overcoming Poverty". CROP's motto is, "We walk because they walk", proclaiming solidarity with the millions of neighbors around the world who have to walk to live -- as well as with the millions served by local food pantries, food banks, and meal sites here in the U.S.
Sadly, more than 33 million U.S. citizens--one in ten households--cannot afford to meet their basic food needs. Central America is one part of the world where CROP Hunger Walks are making a big difference. In Guatemala, for example, indigenous families -- especially the women -- are learning how to grow more and better foods for their families, using appropriate technology such as greenhouses and catchment irrigation, alongside creative solutions of their own design -- used tires as mini-garden planters. They are also learning how to organize themselves, how to gain social and economic empowerment, and how to market their extra harvest.
Mequon United Methodist Church also hosted a bake sale with donated fresh bakery items baked by church members, with the proceeds donated to CROP. For those interested in walking the 1 to 3 mile walk next year, The CROP walk occurs usually on the 2nd Saturday of October. More information on Church World Service and the CROP walk can be found at www.churchworldservice.org.
- Free Workshop Provides Tips On How to Save a Soaked Cellphone
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- 5 Tips for Parents and Teens for Safe Summer Driving
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Wisconsin Luxury Home Market(ing) Trends
- Charter Manufacturing Purchases Mequon Office Building
- Mequon Resident is all Smiles at Froedtert Hospital
- Volunteer Center community volunteering
- Concordia University Wisconsin's Early Childhood Literacy Festival features Grafton author
- Wauwatosa West Class of 2001 Reunion