Mequon United Methodist Church was among many groups and individuals that participated in this year's CROP Walk, which took place on Saturday, October 10. CROP is the community hunger appeal of Church World Service and stands for "Communities Responding to Overcoming Poverty". CROP's motto is, "We walk because they walk", proclaiming solidarity with the millions of neighbors around the world who have to walk to live -- as well as with the millions served by local food pantries, food banks, and meal sites here in the U.S.
Sadly, more than 33 million U.S. citizens--one in ten households--cannot afford to meet their basic food needs. Central America is one part of the world where CROP Hunger Walks are making a big difference. In Guatemala, for example, indigenous families -- especially the women -- are learning how to grow more and better foods for their families, using appropriate technology such as greenhouses and catchment irrigation, alongside creative solutions of their own design -- used tires as mini-garden planters. They are also learning how to organize themselves, how to gain social and economic empowerment, and how to market their extra harvest.
Mequon United Methodist Church also hosted a bake sale with donated fresh bakery items baked by church members, with the proceeds donated to CROP. For those interested in walking the 1 to 3 mile walk next year, The CROP walk occurs usually on the 2nd Saturday of October. More information on Church World Service and the CROP walk can be found at www.churchworldservice.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Francis Borgia Parish Hosts 'Breakfast with Baby Jesus' to House of Peace
- "Battle of the Bays" winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Smart Choice MRI Opens New Location in Waukesha County
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Mequon United Methodist Church Christmas Cantata - What a Gift
- Girl's Lacrosse Registration Now Open
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- City of Glendale to celebrate annual Menorah Lighting Ceremony at Bayshore Town Center
- 23rd Annual Homestead High School Holiday Celebration
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Home Improvement Ideas For Hosting The Holidays